+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Frled Leader Swap

I know I didn't participate but I would like to ask a question.

When wanting to make a leader of a certain length do you actually make it a little longer to factor in the length lost when making the Shorb loops? If you just aimed for 7' and didn't account for the Shorb's maybe your boards aren't that far off and I'll bet Warren actually measured his and labeled it...I would have. I don't see any over 7'.

I would think it's a moot point but I'm kind of curious.... might be a factor if selling commercially.

I received my leaders today and all were very interesting and nicely done. Really enjoyed Jack's input on actual finished lengths and the amount of stretch in each one.

Enjoyed the swap, Joe. Thanks for coming up with it and doing it. Hopefully, you will get a mailing address for Bugman so he can receive his leaders.
    Warren
    Fly fishing and fly tying are two things that I do, and when I am doing them, they are the only 2 things I think about. They clear my mind.

Is the 3 1/2" Stretch bad?
    Also "I must say, most of us have got to tweak our formulas a bit" How would you recommend I do that?
    I'm open to suggestions from anyone.
    Thomas (TomS) Snyder ( also on Facebook)

ducksterman,

LOL - Yes, I did!!!!!

"and I'll bet Warren actually measured his and labeled it"
    Warren
    Fly fishing and fly tying are two things that I do, and when I am doing them, they are the only 2 things I think about. They clear my mind.

Tom;
    I should have added "For Length". I would worry if there was no streatch. Your leader is fine.

Duckster;
    That was my first leaders using the Stroft 3.1# 7X tippet which may be some of the problem and I have a dendency to over twist and streatch the leg back to the pin. I'll have to pay attention to the length for the shows

TomS,

I feel that a furled leader or any leader for that matter, should have some stretch to protect the tippet material, so, I would not worry about the stretch. As far as making your leaders to measure exactly 5', 6' or 7' or whatever length you state, that would be difficult to do since all materials have different points of stretch. Coming close is good enough for me. I doubt if anyone measures a leader that they have purchased and just assumes that it is whatever length it stated on the package. If a packaged tappered leader is exactly the length it states, it will be shorter once someone attaches it to their fly line and adds a Shorb loop in the tippet end.
    Warren

Alright, Thank you guys Hope ya' like fishing with them!
    Thomas (TomS) Snyder ( also on Facebook)

Jack

It is real easy to hit your length when you make the leader, measure it then write the length down.

I was aiming for 7 feet, plus or minus 1". I missed it by 1" and I know why. For some reason, I was using a heavy hand when I strung up the board. I would really pull on the thread when I tied it off on the butt end. I have since quit pulling so hard when tying off the butt end and things have returned to normal.

I am interested on how you measured the stretch in each leader. Did you pull them until they broke, or to a certain point, say 6 pounds of pull?

Brad
    "A woman drove me to drink and I didn't even have the decency to thank her."
    -W.C. Fields

Brad;
    I pull to 4#. Don't like distructive testing

Jack thanks a ton for the report would love that picture and know I need some tweaking and is why I entered this. Rookie for sure. For test strength I just went with what was said for material used and thread count. Would love to continue to hear advise input and thoughts on this thread

+ Reply to Thread