Thread: Ok so I have been fishing and thinking..

Threaded View

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by FishnDave View Post
    I started a blog in 2009. Maybe I'm doing it all wrong...but I don't make any money from it, and wouldn't really know HOW to. It wasn't the reason I started the blog. More, it is just another repository/record of what I love to do (fishing), and it gives me a way to share it with others that might be interested. I think most of what I post on my blog, I usually end up posting in the FAOL forums anyway. Most of the people that publicly "follow" my blog don't visit FAOL.

So...to my way of thinking (which is probably way wrong, just ask my wife) having personal blogs linked to FAOL enriches this site by giving our FAOL community access to additional info if they are interested. You're asking those that make personal blogs available to PAY for that which benefits all of us for free. Although I'm all for providing some way to ensure the continuance of FAOL, I'm not sure this is the solution.

It almost feels like charging folks who wish to submit an article or FOTW...cuz isn't having an article posted here sort of like "free advertising" for the author?
    FishnDave

Good point on the Blog, it is a personal Blog, no money gained, but and there is always a but, the Central Iowa Anglers web site if it is not a recognized sponsor here is profiting from it and you are linking to it, there by they are getting free and very good exposure for their site, they have sponsors on the site and those sponsors are profiting.. The only one who is not benefiting in a monetary way is FAOL and its owner(s) ..
    Not picking on any one person or Link this is just the example that first popped up..

I agree with you maybe personal "Blogs" could be exempt if they stay just that personal Blogs, E.G. "I did this today and did this then what do you think?" No money gained and no services provided for the person with the link.

If however you are selling something ie rods, flys, tying material, etc.. from and with your blog then I think you're taking advantage of the very good free advertising from the link.
    Last edited by flyfishfairwx; 02-10-2010 at 09:58 PM. Reason: had another thought!
    As in the Army, I have never had a bad day Fly fishing, some damn uncomfortable days but never a bad one!
    Everyone must believe in something and I believe in Fly Fishing and Fly Tying and believe I will
    Member of Project Healing Waters & Fly Fishing Canada, Project Healing Waters Canada