+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: How many of you get these kinds of comments when you tell others you're a flyfisher?

Ive taken a certian bass fishing friend out with me on several occasions and have whomped him with a fly rod. One day it was 21-3, i thought for sure he would have asked about it them but he never mentioned anything about learning. Since then we have gone out several times and ive always caught more then him with a fly rod, still nothing! im not sure what it takes to get someone interested in fly fishing but kicking there arse time after time isnt it.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Bass_Bug View Post
    Tsk tsk Kevin. Even a kid from Ohio knows NY has 50+ miles of Lake Erie Shore line and 200+ miles of Lake Ontario shoreline? Not to mention the famous Finger Lakes? Where do you think they dump all the bodies from "down state"?
    I've been to Upstate NY and loved it. I have never been to NYC, however.

As recently as 30 years ago, I had questions from New York City types that were vacationing in Wyoming on their way to Yellowstone if they would have problems with Indians getting to the park. They also wondered if we had TV and telephones yet. I guess I am as guilty as they for thinking the New York City area was all concrete and asphalt.

Would the Finger Lakes be named after that famous New York salute I hear about?
    Kevin

Be careful how you live. You may be the only Bible some person ever reads.

Norman, OK (via Iowa, South Dakota, Nebraska & Ohio)

Yeah - I get about as many odd looks fly fishing here in Oklahoma as I did when I cross country skied here last winter after the Dec 24 blizzard.

People may have seen it before - but have no idea how to do it or more importantly, WHY you're doing it! Why waste your time doing that when you could be fishing with a spin casting rig...
    Thank God for my wife, the midge nymph and those hapless Iowa Hawkeyes!

Quote Originally Posted by kbproctor View Post
    I was surprised that you had lakes.
    Kevin, take a look at the 24 lakes in NYC ( the 500 miles of ocean shore line is not included) called "The Great Lakes of NYC":
    http://thegreatlakesofnyc.blogspot.com/

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Bill-B'klyn View Post
    Kevin, take a look at the 24 lakes in NYC ( the 500 miles of ocean shore line is not included) called "The Great Lakes of NYC":
    http://thegreatlakesofnyc.blogspot.com/
    The pictures you see on the news or TV always show nothing but buildings and streets or maybe a bridge in Central Park where someone is getting murdered. I have never seen a lake in a picture. Ain't no lakes in Times Square, either.
    Kevin

Be careful how you live. You may be the only Bible some person ever reads.

NYC is more than the county of NY. New York county is also known as Manhattan. before the skyscrapers and concrete there were streams and ponds all over Manhattan. Central Park has 4 ponds where fishing is allowed on a catch & release basis. CP gets the publicity but the 3 other islands that are part of NYC have more forest and bigger lakes than you will ever see on TV. If you want to see the NY that the anglers see, please check my blog " The Great Lakes of NYC". most people are amazed by the outstanding places to fish in and near NYC.

Probably one of the biggest surprises I have had about fishing in the NYC area was a friend invited me to come out to Long Island to go trout fishing. I would really like to come up and go out there, the original member of the family to come to America helped establish one of the first Presbreytian Churches there in 1643. I probably spelled that wrong, I'm Baptist.
    Want to hear God laugh? Tell him Your plans!!!

there are many places to fish for trout within the reach of NYC public transportation. there are 3 fly fishing streams on long island not counting the stocked lakes. the metro north train will take you from mid town manhattan to the NYC water shed where wild trout live. it is easy to fish for trout in NJ and CT also. we have beavers, raccoons, rabbits, chipmonks, hawks and even coyotes.

one of my grandfathers was an avid fly fisherman right outside of NYC in a place called Yorktown. his house sat on the edge of a pond where my mom's first fly adventure was catching and naming the bass in that pond LOL

I get strange looks and such when I tell people that I fish nearly every day- I lifve in the center of the sonoran desert out here in Arizona.... people think what they think and there's alwaus going to be people with thier own ideas of what's what.
    My mom says it's all physics. I say that's my problem.. Just look at my old report cards....

Kirk - I live on a residential lake in Northwest Oklahoma City. Also fish Lake Hefner a lot, some farm ponds where my parents live in Payne County, and when I want to fish for trout, the Mountain Fork River in Southeastern Oklahoma.

+ Reply to Thread