+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Split thread loops

Default Split thread loops

I know danville thread is easier to slit than uni-thread but am wondering if there are others that are easily used and also wonder what thicknesses are found most useful and when do you choose heavier or thinner threads...which ones?

UTC 70 & 140 work great, MFC 6/0 as well (haven't used their 8/0 so I can't comment, but I'd imagine it would give good results). I try to use the finest thread I can get away with.

Regards,
    Scott

ducksterman,

I used to always use a thread loop for my dubbing loops until I started watching the videos that Hans has been sharing. I really have learned a lot of new techniques since watching his videos and now I only use the "split thread" for my dubbing loops. I really like this technique and have since stopped using Uni thread since it is a "bear" to split. I use some Danville and a lot of UTC in 140 and 70. Here is a list of the threads that can be split fairly easily:

UTC in 70 and 140 Denier
    Danville 6/0
    Montana Fly Company Thread
    Veevus
    Beneecchi

For a needle to split the thread I use a sewing machine needle that my wife gave me. A sewing machine needle is made to split thread and not cut it. I took an extra Knit-Picker I had that I use to make the Shorb Loops on my furled leaders and pulled the metal part out and glued the sewing machine needle in the same hole that the knit-picker was in. Since the Knit-Picker comes with a plastic cap to protect it, I decided it would work good to protect the sewing machine needle.

I usually use UTC in either 70 or 140 for all my flies. I cannot answer the other half of your question on how to choose between heavier or thinner threads. Since I do not use or tie dry flies and only use Streamers, nymphs, buggers and soft hackle wets, the 70 and 140 denier works for me.
    Last edited by WarrenP; 02-19-2013 at 12:24 AM.
    Warren
    Fly fishing and fly tying are two things that I do, and when I am doing them, they are the only 2 things I think about. They clear my mind.

I have recently bought some Bennechi 12/0 because I saw Hans using it. It is wonderful for strength and small
    size, I haven't tried to split it yet, but He seems to have no trouble.Try a spool !
    "Tap her light and she'll always be fresh"

Like WarrenP, I only tried the split thread method since I've started watching Hans' videos - I've used UTC 70 and Benecchi 10/0, and Danville 8/0 and so far all of them seem to split pretty easily and be strong enpough for most of my needs. I haven't done enough with any of them to have a favorite. In general I think the less bulk the better so I generally don't use 6/0 or 140D unless I'm working with hair or Foam.

Cliff

+ Reply to Thread