+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Anyone using footwarmers in your waders?

Hybrid View

Default Anyone using footwarmers in your waders?

I've been thinking for some time of buying some Hotronic footwarmers to use in my waders for winter and perhaps other cold days fishing. I've been considering the Hotronic M4's, but at $200.00 or so (more or less) for them, I'd like some more input on them before buying them.

Anyone using Hotronics, or other, footwarmers?

John

A friend of mine uses electric socks and swears by them. I may have to give them a try myself.
    Where you go is less important than how you take the steps.
    Fish with a Friend,
    Lotech Joe

I've tried the socks and wasn't impressed.
    I have two friends that use hotronics and claim to stay toasty all day. One bought new the other bought used ski boots with the system in them. I saw some here (Denver) on Craigslist for $30 in a pair of boots, but they were too small for me or I'd have bought them. Here's some for $20, but no charger.
    http://denver.craigslist.org/spo/1535297494.html
    Just an example of a different way to buy them.

Blog Entries

eek! the idea of electricity near my feet in the water upsets me. i've used "Toe Warmers" by Grabber, which are small chemical packs activated by air. there is enough air in your wader boot to keep them going. stick them to your socks on top of your foot and you're good to go. you can find them at shops that cater to outdoor winter sports. they have a shelf life of about 5 years.

double-you, double-you, double-you dot warmers dot com
    fly fishing and baseball share a totally deceptive simplicity; that's why they can both be lifelong pursuits.

Quote Originally Posted by chewydog View Post
    I've tried the socks and wasn't impressed.
    I have two friends that use hotronics and claim to stay toasty all day. One bought new the other bought used ski boots with the system in them. I saw some here (Denver) on Craigslist for $30 in a pair of boots, but they were too small for me or I'd have bought them. Here's some for $20, but no charger.
    http://denver.craigslist.org/spo/1535297494.html
    Just an example of a different way to buy them.
    I'd been looking at the Hotronics on Ebay, but I hadn't thought about looking on Craigslist -thanks for the link and the idea. I'll have to do a Search there.

One of the questions I had was about the need to cut the Hotronics to size, and how difficult that is. Also, I suppose you'd want to have extensions for the cords so you could carry the battery packs in a pocket at the top of your waders, at least above waistline.

I've tried chemcial warmers in the past but havn't been overly impressed - maybe since some of my winter fishing is in sub-zero weather, and I tend to stay outside most or all of the day.

John

Like Casey, I use the toe warmers. They work really well! One that has been recommended, though I have NOT tried yet, are the Superfeet RedHot orthopedic insoles.
    Trouts don't live in ugly places.

A friend is not who knows you the longest, but the one who came and never left your side.

Don't look back, we ain't goin' that way.

Another reason I give thanks for Arizona winters.

Buddy
    It Just Doesn't Matter....

Quote Originally Posted by John Rhoades View Post

One of the questions I had was about the need to cut the Hotronics to size, and how difficult that is. Also, I suppose you'd want to have extensions for the cords so you could carry the battery packs in a pocket at the top of your waders, at least above waistline.

John
    One guy tried the longer cords, but had trouble with them. I believe he wraps them to his upper calf and uses the short cord. Hotronics makes a longer cord for waders.
    I have cold chronic cold feet and am keeping an eye out for this system or similar. Seems they would work easier in boot foot waders than stocking foot.
    Last edited by chewydog; 01-11-2010 at 11:27 PM. Reason: ghramir

Blog Entries

You guys are kidding right, I live in Alberta Canada, we live in igloos and fist fight polar bears for seats on icebergs!!

I have gone from neoprene's to breathables, with feet sized 1.5 -2 larger same for the boots and it is not a PROBLEM... Feet stay warm all day and AAMOF I start to sweat, and have to cool off... check your gear or check with your Doc. you may have circulation problem!!!!!

put a hat on, loose layers etc... nothing better. If you depend on the heating pads then when you do not have them you will be in trouble..

AAMOF = As A Matter Of Fact..

OK OK this is slightly tongue in cheek at my US friends but seriously you do not need the foot warmers, you will become dependent on them and then be lost when they give out on you or you forget to charge the battery etc... Proper preparation precedes perfect pastimes..
    As in the Army, I have never had a bad day Fly fishing, some damn uncomfortable days but never a bad one!
    Everyone must believe in something and I believe in Fly Fishing and Fly Tying and believe I will
    Member of Project Healing Waters & Fly Fishing Canada, Project Healing Waters Canada

Check out Toastie Toes.
    Basically they are an insole that is made of hand warmer material. They work pretty well. And at about $2.00 for a pair it's pretty reasonable.
    Good fishing technique trumps all.....wish I had it.

+ Reply to Thread