+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Deer Hair under fur?

Blog Entries

Lightbulb Deer Hair under fur?

Does anybody tye a fly using the underfur from deer hair that you stack and then clean. Is it good for a dry, Nymph or nothing at all?

Just seems a waste to throw it away, I've been doing it for years and just had the old light go on.
    As in the Army, I have never had a bad day Fly fishing, some damn uncomfortable days but never a bad one!
    Everyone must believe in something and I believe in Fly Fishing and Fly Tying and believe I will
    Member of Project Healing Waters & Fly Fishing Canada, Project Healing Waters Canada

Blog Entries

Don't see why you couldnt.

Try it out and post a pic of the results!
    Chris
    "There's a fine line between fishing and standing on the shore like an idiot."-Steven Wright
    http://fishiesonthefly.blogspot.com/

Blog Entries

ive been wondering about that too. it would probably be a good smooth body dubbing.

Default Under fur

Hi group,

Underfur from animals like deer, elk or moose (and others) is makes a beautiful fine dubbing. The colors range from light gray (deer), brownish (elk) and dark gray (moose). Of course many different colors are possible with dyed/bleached pieces of hair. I find when you want to use this fur for dubbing it is best to remove it (and stray/small fibers) with a small comb like a mustache comb. Then it is easier to remove (pluck) the short hair fibers from the comb before removing the fur (dubbing); the comb kind of hangs onto the dubbing while pulling the actual hair fibers from it. Take care & ...

Tight Lines - Al Beatty
    www.btsflyfishing.com

Al -

Great input, as usual.

Don't know what you have planned for the Idaho Falls expo ( www.srcexpo.com ), but maybe you could incorporate that techique into your presentation ???

John
    The fish are always right.

Here's a 'counter view' just in case it's not been considered from a confirmed material horder....

I used to save it.

I also used to save the 'loose' hair that fell away when trimming rabbit strips.

I figured out a way to get a nice fur dubbing from the dogs.

All kinds of 'it may be something I'll find a use for'..or 'it should work for this...or 'it's too good to throw away'...saving the 'waste' of my tyings....

So, now I have several hundred little containers and baggies of more stuff that I never use. My tying supply storage space is badly stretched. I have trouble finding what I really want to tie with, as it's usually buried under or stored behind a bunch of those little containers filled with assorted 'waste' that I might, maybe, be able to use someday.

Stuff like this, if you have an application in mind for it, a particular fly or fly style, then it's probably worthwhile to save and stockpile it. Otherwise, unless you want to spend a lot of time developing a use for it, it will just sit there and you'll tie with the 'regular' stuff that you know works and looks how you are used to it working and looking.

Just something to think about. Maybe you don't have enough stuff yet....

Buddy
    It Just Doesn't Matter....

That's an affirmative, Big Buddy.

Buddy,

Thank you so much for describing my fly tying area!! I have always been afraid to describe my area, but, since you have admitted to the obsession, I will too!!

It feels so much better knowing I am not all alone!!!! : )
    Warren
    Fly fishing and fly tying are two things that I do, and when I am doing them, they are the only 2 things I think about. They clear my mind.

One of my problems with this problem...is that when I sit down with the intent of tying a certain fly ...I reach into the left overs on my table and use something "close".... and never end up with the original intent.

+ Reply to Thread