I have a fascination with Bi-Visibles. It was the second fly I
ever fished with when I was just learning the art. I’ll never forget
– my first cast produced a beautiful little 12" brown. Ever since
then I’ve always made sure there’s a variety of them in my fly box(s).
The first Bi-Visible (Brown) is credited to Edward Hewitt. Mr. Hewitt
was a renowned fly fisherman from the Catskills. Although tied in many
colors and combinations the fly I present to you today is unique. I call
it the Bee Visible because of the yellow and black combination, which
by the way, is the best producing color combination I’ve found for bright
sunny days.
Materials:
Hook: Mustad #94840 or #94833 Sizes: 10-18.
Thread: Black, 6/0
Body: Yellow and Black Hackle Fibers.
Hackle: White Hackle Fibers.
Step #1. Tie in a good thread base. This is especially
important with this fly. Since our entire body is composed
of hackle; we don’t want it slipping around.
Step #2. Starting at the rear of the hook tie in a yellow hackle fiber.
Step #3. Next, tie in and wrap a black hackle. Repeat the sequence one more time
(one yellow hackle and one black hackle).
Step #4. Now that the body is complete. Tie in the white face hackle.
Step #5. Wrap the face hackle, tie it off. Whip finish the head, clip the thread and
add head cement.
It’s a great attractor pattern and is always my first choice for
rapid water on a bright sunny day. The yellow color seems to
be the magic in this fly. According to W.B. Willers
Trout Biology, 1981, yellow is the number one
preference color when it comes to trout selection of food preferences.
Experience has taught me that this is true. Give it a try and you’ll be
“hooked” too. It may also be tied with a Gold Tinsel underbody.
See you on the water – ~ Tom
For more great flies, check out: and
Originally published May 31, 2014 on Fly Anglers Online by Tom Deschaine.




