+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: I won't stand for this

I think the ghost of Rocky Raccoon has fished out all the good places and left nothing but trash fish in their place. He and Al Campbell are probably watching from Heaven and laughing at all the fools looking for trout.
    Where you go is less important than how you take the steps.
    Fish with a Friend,
    Lotech Joe

Blog Entries

Being real for just a minute............how are the flows and water temps out your way?

Quote Originally Posted by Betty Hiner View Post
    Unbelievable! Incredible!! How anyone could believe the stories about wild trouts up there is way beyond me. Chubs and Dace ... that's it. Really very sad.

Quote Originally Posted by Byron haugh View Post
    Being real for just a minute............how are the flows and water temps out your way?
    Weather has definitely stated heating up, recent temps in the high 80s and 90s so that's starting to affect some of the more sensitive streams, such as Spring Creek. But most of our creeks are fine temperature-wise. Flows are still above normal on many creeks due to our ridiculously wet spring. This means a lot of our creeks are still pretty muddy, but they are starting to clear up. Rapid creek in town should become much more fishable soon, depending on what they do with the flows out of Pactola. Spearfish and Castle creeks are both fishing really well right now. I imagine in two weeks all our streams should clear up and return to normal, just in time for the biggest Sturgis rally we'll ever see (over a million people are predicted to attend)

BigDan.......after seeing and reading about that spot down south, I can't see why any Canadian would even think of wanting to go there to see such lousy scenery and to fish for minnows, when we can do much better up here.............ha!
    Nice pics by the way. From what I have heard about South Dakota, I would love to get in a pheasant hunt one day, have to add that to my bucket list.
    David Parker
    Guild Certified Professional Rod Builder

Quote Originally Posted by cycler68 View Post
    That article doesn't depict the real South Dakota which is flat-as-pancake plains and nothing but fields of corn and soybeans.
    Quote Originally Posted by David Parker View Post
    BigDan.......after seeing and reading about that spot down south, I can't see why any Canadian would even think of wanting to go there to see such lousy scenery and to fish for minnows, when we can do much better up here.............ha!
    Nice pics by the way. From what I have heard about South Dakota, I would love to get in a pheasant hunt one day, have to add that to my bucket list.
    There certainly is a big difference in South Dakota once you cross 'the river' (Missouri River), in so many ways. I grew up in Northeast South Dakota, so I know all about corn and soybean fields, and being able to see forever since there isn't a tree or the slightest change in elevation to block the view. I've also had several seasons of outstanding pheasant and deer hunting. I've done a fair amount of travelling around the States but nothing compares to the pheasant or deer hunting in eastern South Dakota. The deer on this side of the river certainly don't seem as big and there is nary a pheasant to be seen in the Hills. And David, I don't know if you've done pheasant hunting anywhere else but I can reassure you again, there is nothing like pheasant hunting in South Dakota. Our pheasant numbers were a little low for a few years but they have started to bounce back nicely.

Big Dan, I know about the fabulous pheasant hunting that can be had in South Dakota. I live just across the river from South Dakota all my life and have hunted deer in the middle of the state, fished for trout in the hills and fished for white bass and walleye in the tailwaters of Big Bend dam many times. Never hunted pheasants though, the price for a liscence is a bit steep.

913 Jackson Lake Rd, Chatsworth, Ga. 30705 (423) 438-1060

This is a joke, right? Those look like trout to me, and I see nothing wrong with the scenery. I have played music many times in places like Sturgis, and other places in the Black Hills, and I have fished all through there. The scenery was beautiful and the fishing great.

Am I missing something here?

Quote Originally Posted by Gigmaster View Post
    This is a joke, right? Those look like trout to me, and I see nothing wrong with the scenery. I have played music many times in places like Sturgis, and other places in the Black Hills, and I have fished all through there. The scenery was beautiful and the fishing great.

Am I missing something here?
    Nope, no joke! (Wink, wink.) Those of us who enjoy fishing the Black Hills for the Brown Creek Chubs and Rainbow Dace (Wink, wink) just figure there's no reason for hoards of people wasting their time coming to the Black Hills trying find trout (Wink, wink) and getting in the way of our creek chub and dace fishing. (Wink, wink.)

Oh, and you must have taken a wrong turn on your way to Sturgis. You couldn't have been fishing in the Black Hills. (Wink, wink.)
    Last edited by Royce; 08-11-2015 at 11:26 PM.

Having the somewhat dubious distinction of being a more or less, (probably less) expert of creek chub, I can undoubtedly give an exact dubious identification of creek chub to the fish I just seen in the more or less average at best looking scenery that I just saw. I can also prove beyond anything but a shadow of a doubt that my words here are almost exactly truthful because I do not at this time have my fingers crossed, because I'm typing and I can't do that with my fingers crossed which could be the first truthful statement I have made in this post. With all of that being said, that was some of the prettiest chubs I ever seen and the best average scenery I ever saw.

hNt
    "If we lie to the government, it's called a felony, when they lie to us, it's called politics." Bill Murray

+ Reply to Thread