Hi Dale,

I am still in the planning stages (first wk of May is all I could get off of work here in NJ), and I was thinking about doing a dayhike or two on the AT in Georgia (Springer Mt and/or Blood Mt), then some AT dayhiking within GSMNP, along with catch & release flyfishing for wild trout. I have some experience with remote trout streams (PA forests and Shenandoah National Park in VA). My formal backpacking (and backcountry camping) days are likely over, but I still enjoy challenging dayhikes. I enjoy tent camping (away from large RVs and loud motorcycles), so I was considering one of the tent campgrounds within the park. However, I would not rule out any other ideas.
A couple of years ago, I realized that I would like to hike a section of the AT in each of its 14 states (I have 6 under my belt now), so I figured that GA, TN & NC are in the same area, and maybe I could add these 3 states. I was originally planning to add a hike up Mt. Mitchell in NC, but I will not have the extra time. I'll save that one for another time.