Quote Originally Posted by spinner1 View Post
my log books tell me that in the 34 years I have kept logs....
I caught about 1,200 trout when I began my logs and last year about 2,200
Population density has caused some of the fewer big trout.
More trout...less food......slower growth rate....

Hi Spinner,

I can see how more trout = fewer big trout. However, that begs the following question. If that is true, why do the old timers tell us that there were more and bigger fish in years past. What I am saying is that left alone, the trout population will reach a steady state with a relatively stable population distribution of smaller to larger trout when rainfall and other external factors stay normal.

What I don't understand is how C&R can change the steady state population distribution of smaller to larger trout (more small trout and fewer larger trout). If the fish are caught in the same proportion and have the same C & R mortality, the relative population distribution should not change; ie., there should not be more smaller and fewer big trout. Again, if this happening, I suspect poaching.

Anyone who has fished the C & R "special regulation" areas in Wisconsin has seen worm containers where there should be no bait containers. I believe the results are skewed because regulations do not prevent fish harvesting. Enforcement does and it is pretty thin where I fish.