All good points. I think maybe another aspect of this question is the "perceived" cost. For example, I'm active as an adult leader with Boy Scouts. At the first Summer Camp in our Council in which the new Flyfishing merit badge was offered, the camp hired a local flyfisherman to teach it. He showed the boys several rods / reels in the $500 and up range, giving the impression that you had to spend MANY bucks just to get started. How many of those kids went home and asked the parents if they could have $500 or more, so they could TRY flyfishing?Not very many. Don't get me wrong, I'd love to be able to throw around a line with a nice bamboo rod, spooled up on a Hardy reel, but I just can't justify that right now.
I've seen this in other areas, also. Look at the equipment reviews in most of the
flyfishing magazines - almost all high end stuff that would put anyone off. Why would I spend $700+ for a rod if I don't even know if I like the sport yet?

We need to get the "elite" and "mystery" out of flyfishing. After all, isn't it just another way to catch fish?

Excuse me while I step down from my soapbox.