Thread: ARE WE MAKING FLY FISHING TOO DIFFICULT FOR BEGINNERS? - Readers Cast - Oct 10, 2011

Threaded View

I took up fly fishing because bait fishing wasn't a challenge anymore. I wanted more of a challenge but didn't want to spend a fortune on it. No matter how many years go by I am still learning and aquiring new equipment and experience. It hasn't cost me a fortune and I'm no novice. I do prefer dry flies and always say I'll try nymphs but it hasn't happened yet. Maybe next summer...
    That being said, there is always the possibility that I will be talked down to in fly shops or at expo's. That's maybe because I'm a woman but maybe that's just how it is. It happened more when I was getting started in the sport and I was wondering if I was doing it correctly. Every once in a while it does happen and I chuckle. No intimidation for me now. I have all the confidence that I know what I'm doing for the most part and am having fun on the stream and at the tying bench. That's the kicker. I don't see any fly fishing police out there grading me on my casting or looking in my fly box. LOL

That's my two cents and then some.
    Last edited by Fishing Jill; 10-16-2011 at 05:45 PM.
    "I often do not start fishing until the cool of the evening..."
    Norman Maclean: A River Runs Through It