+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Rick Z and the Boa Yarn

Default Rick Z and the Boa Yarn

To Rick Z.

There is a reservoir near here that has crappie. A couple of weeks ago my friend and I hit it and really caught the fish, abet on the small side but fun. Friend Zeke is a spin guy and was using the normal bobber/jig set up while I was fly fishing. Zeke was catching two fish to my one despite me trying several different flies.

So after returning home I took some jig skirts and tied them on a 2x long shank hook. Went back there & knocked the crappie on the skirt but only caught about 1 fish out of 4 on the dropper fly I had below the skirt. Tried several different pattens with the same results.

Went back today and was getting a repeat performance - most fish on the jig skirt. Lost my dropper fly on a snag and looked through my assortment of 1 million flies to replace it with. Decided to try a Boa Yarn leech you sent me some time back.. Results were immediate. Ratio flipped to 3 out of 4 on the boa. Maybe I am on to something?

Thanks Rick.

Tim

Added Info: I have talked about boa yarn flies in the past however all of the flies I tied and used were on large hooks, like #4 to 2/0. The fly Rick sent me looks like a #10 hook.
    Last edited by Panman; 08-16-2010 at 11:13 PM. Reason: I goofed

They like those size 10 or 12 yellow ones!
    The Green Hornet strikes again!!!

Glad you liked it and that it worked for you. Probably a size 10 or 12 3906 or 3366 byMKustad.

Rick

I know I've seen that fly before but I can't for the life of me remember what it looks like. Can someone please post a link to that fly with the recipe?
    Thanks Ahead,
    Where you go is less important than how you take the steps.
    Fish with a Friend,
    Lotech Joe

Last edited by Panman; 08-17-2010 at 01:12 PM.

Yellow boa yarn leeches have caught HUNDREDS of crappies for me. In other bodies of water, other colors probably work just as well.

Crappies have been strangely elusive for about the past month. I'm not sure if they are GONE, or just hanging in deeper water. I'm hopeful cooler Fall weather will make them magically reappear in good numbers.
    David Merical
    St. Louis, MO

Quote Originally Posted by Panman View Post
    Thanks Panman.
    Where you go is less important than how you take the steps.
    Fish with a Friend,
    Lotech Joe

Went back to have another go at the crappie. Used two boa yarn below a popper - what a combo. Top boa was yellow, bottom white. Caught a lot of fish and had a nice day. Here is a picture of a Yellow Perch with the white boa used to catch him.

Yellow Perch liked the boa as well as the crappie which is great as the perch are about my favorite fish for eating.

Tim

Tim
    Attached Images Attached Images

Great picture Panman, i know you know about it but for a boatload of yellow perch, head for COPCO sometime. A small boat would be best though there are places you can wade. Anytime i'd go there in a boat, yellows would take a bare hook, (friends daughter) any crappie jig (me) and anything else they could get in their mouth. I think they used to have 'fish outs' for them their were/are so many of them in there.

Cheers,

MontanaMoose

+ Reply to Thread