Quote Originally Posted by Steven View Post
As an aside, is the Shenandoah back? I thought there was a problem with fishkills and the source couldn't be identified.

When I first started dating my wife, I took her to Harry's smallmouth bass school. G-d what a blast. Must have had a smallie on every five minutes. Fly got so beat up, there was nothing but lead wire and a piece of chenille hanging off and they were still nailing it.

She told me, "Dammit, you never said this was so much fun."
No kills reported yet this year and action so far has been really good. When I first started fishing the Doah in the early 80's it really was a fish every cast (almost), but in the 8"-10" range. Big fish ~2lb + were there but mainly for the madtom (bait) fisherman. I dont think it is all the way back, but it is much better than say, 5 years ago. And Harry is great, he's been doing this for a lotta years.

Not to hijack the post, as far as the source of the kills, I think it is nutrient run off, i.e chicken litter. A few years ago litter was processed and used for cattle feed (thats right, it is high in protein) but they stopped that and started spreading it on the fields. The Ag people say that is not the prob but the timing corelates with the kills. Just my opinion, maybe some others have a different prespective.