Quote Originally Posted by Buddy Sanders View Post
A true half hitch has the line going and coming from the knot in opposite directions, which requires two loops done opposite each other. It's quite strong for line around a belaying pin, but not so much for a fly without good cement.
Buddy
I honestly mean no disrespect...

But I've been a 'Knot-Head' for many years now. I have a library of knot tying books including the 'Sacred Tome' known as Clifford Ashley's Book of Knots. (Almost 4000 knots published in the 1940's - weighs about 5 lbs!) He traveled at sea learning knots from sailors from different nationalities, then years later, published them in the book.

What you describe in the quote above sounds like a Clove Hitch ('Which is two loops done opposite each other') It is the simplest of hitches, and although it is extremely useful and I use it often, it should never be used in life or death situations (please remember that). Being the simplest of hitches, if you tie only half of it, you get a 'Half Hitch'. A Timber Hitch does not contain Half Hitches, while a Killick Hitch is a Timber Hitch + 1 Half Hitch.

See this helpful page (the 'ABOK' next to knot titles stands for 'Ashley's Book Of Knots + the knot's number in the book):

http://www.layhands.com/Knots/Knots_...m#KillickHitch

AGAIN: DO NOT USE THESE KNOTS FOR PERSONAL SAFETY UNTIL YOU KNOW THE SAFE ONES FROM THE DANGEROUS ONES (and how to tie them properly).
Many knots only hold under a steady pull or can come loose if bounced, shaken, twisted or pulled in the wrong direction.

I highly recommend that everyone get a basic knot book. It is very helpful to fly fishing. (WARNING: Knot Tying is very addictive. Almost as much as fly fishing/tying. But good for winter days. I have lost many hours of sleep to this hobby) There's even an 'International Guild of Knot Tyers' similar to the FFF.

I have never read anything referring to a 'Quarter' Hitch. 'Quarter-Pole' hitch yes, but it is quite complicated.

If you could provide reference information or a website, I would be much obliged.

I agree that the clove hitch is inappropriate for a whip finish. The super-glued ones will come undone, (I know from personal experience. Which I why I double-whip finish every fly with 5 or more wraps per whip. Sometimes triple for bass flies.)

Again, no disrespect

Bill