I loved to camp in a tent as a younger person. I still love the idea of it, but the reality of it gets harder each year.

I would love to hear one of you non-tent campers put forth a persuasive argument about saving money versus staying in a Motel 6 equivalent. Really! Cuz I would use your argument to help convince my "Holiday Inn is roughing it" bride to be cheerful about me purchasing anything more advanced than a tent.

My situation is made worse by the fact that I would have to pay to store anything I bought for camping. And I no longer own a truck.

I've spent a lot of time on this -- lusting and calculating. I have concluded that the truth is that I cannot justify the cost of owning a non-tent alternative.

I do not challenge you owners of non-tent alternatives, though. Heck, I'm from the now arthritic generation of "if it feels good, do it". If you and your spouse feel you are getting great enjoyment out of it, by all means do it!

Parking my 40' bus by great trout waters as my bride just beams in anticipation of the week ahead? Wow, what a fantastic dream! I then fly away from my bus with no wings. Right to some beautiful water where I catch a 30" trout.

Then I wake up and the math favors Motel 6.