Thread: Non-Trout Tactics

Threaded View

I used to live in northern Illinois. I worked across the street from the Fox River in St. Charles, and lived across the street from the Kishwaukee in Genoa.
    I only spin-fished the Fox. South Elgin was a favorite spot, but there's plenty of good places all the way downstream from there. Fish below the dams and around the bridges, especially.

There are some excellent places on the Kishwaukee as well. Rocky rapids usually are good, but downed trees are even better! There's a good population of nice-sized rock bass in the Kish. They will hit almost all winter long if you can find rocks in a deep pool. I've caught 'em in December thru February, and they would spit up mouthfuls of big dragonfly nymphs. There are also the odd pike and walleye in the Kish, but most the fishing is for smallies. I usually used spinning gear back then, but I've fly-fished for them during the summer there. I'd highly recommend minnow imitators such as the Thunder Creek Minnow. Try natural minnow colors, and some with yellow or chartreuse in the belly.

And as has been said already, smallies head for the deepest pools once the water drops to 50 degrees, and can be rather sluggish hitters. Definitely give it a shot again next summer!!
    Last edited by FishnDave; 11-18-2008 at 01:46 PM.
    David Merical
    St. Louis, MO