Thread: Non-Trout Tactics

Threaded View

Welcome to Illinois, now head (in season) to Wisconsin or Michigan.

As already pointed out, this isn't exactly the season for warmwater fish. Bass are sunfish after all.

To be honest, I've never had much success on the Kish. Went twice, got exactly 2 fish, broke one rod. I'm not convinced there are a whole lot of fish in there.

Fly angler's never do particularly well on the Fox. The water is very fast making it very difficult to get the fly down. Think about a sinking line, if you want to keep trying.

The Kankakee to the south is more flyfishing friendly.

The fishing for steelhead in and around Milwaukee and Sheboygan should be picking up I'd think. Salmon run should be over. This isn't my thing, but you could check out thesteelheadsite.com for reports.

The Early trout season starts in Wisconsin on the first Saturday in March, I think (I usually head up in April). There are plenty of guide books available. Just remember your small streams are very large compared to Wisconsin.

Iowa never closes. Not sure what the deal is with Michigan. I head west, not east - but with my son going to Michigan State next year, maybe that'll change.

Here at home, think the Chicago Park Districts and the Forest Preserves for 'gills, crappie and an occasional LM bass or carp. Some of the FP's also have pike and a few allow canoeing.
    Last edited by Steven; 11-18-2008 at 11:42 AM.