I won't offer any earth-shattering advice here. There are quite a few books on bass and bluegill fly fishing, and all have something to offer. Having grown up in an area with only warmwater and little fly fishing going on, I learned how from magazines and books, most of which were about moving water and trout. I applied trout tactics to my slow southern waters and caught plenty of fish. I'd tend to say that fish in moving water behave similarly, regardless of species--the same goes for stillwater. In fact, when in later years I tried to apply tactics and tackle specifically designed for warmwater, I had less success and enjoyment. A few things, though--warmwater fish are rarely tippet shy and often live in a more snag-prone environment, so don't worry about whether you need 5x or 6x--you usually need 2x or 3x for 'gills and heavier for bass. Warmwater fish will take small flies, as small as the most finicky trout. The problem is that they'll take them into their often small mouths so deep you'd have to kill the fish to retrieve them. I hardly ever need to go below a fat #12 or 14, and often a #10 or above is better. Traditional "trout" patterns will often do as well or better than fancy warmwater ties. That being said, the most popular warmwater patterns are probably a #8-10 sponge rubber spider with rubber "hackle" and a similarly sized wet fly consisting of chartreuse chenille and more of that "hackle" (on a lark, I tried these "flies" on Appalachian brookies, and they were ravenously supportive of my experiment!) You could (and many do) go after warmwater fish with 000-3wt tackle. You may find it easier going to stay with 4-8wt tackle, depending on the water and flies. In open water, there isn't a bass or panfish that couldn't be landed quickly on ultralight tackle. Open water is not usually abundant, though, and even an 8oz bluegill can wrap your 8wt around a submerged tree so well you'll never get it out. Kind of up to you and what you find more fun. In general, I'd say warmwater fishing can be as "technical" as you want to make it, or as blissfully simple--have it your way!
-CC