Amigos,

This thread offers for me a first-time opporunity to become knowledgeable about the defiinition of the term "rolling on the fly".

I've always been curious about what the term means but never took the time to research its definition.

My initial guess was that "rolling" means the crappie swims to within mere inches of the angler's fly pattern -- but remaining below my fly -- before at the last second reversing course and diving for the depths. Always staying BELOW the angler's fly.

Reading this thread, it sounds to me like my guess was wrong? Truly, I never imagined the possibility that a crappie, or any fish, does something like swimming upward at high speed and leaping into the air just high enough that its body "rolls" across an insect floating on the surface. (The fish's motive being to submerge and thereby incapicate the insect).

Do fish really, actually roll over the top of intended prey items or are you guys just pulling a Kansas farm boy's leg? Maybe this has happened to me while I've been fishing and I wasn't knowledgeable enough to make an informed gripe in any of my stories.

Anybody on the BB know of a video link where I can see, photographed in slow motion, a fish "rolling" on a fly? That would be really cool to watch!

Seeing the footage would let me think about solutions to warmfishernc's "rolling" problem. Because it sounds to me like warmfishernc's problem is my problem, too. Everybody's problem maybe.

Joe
"Better small than not at all."