Quote Originally Posted by Spoonplugger View Post
The Cabela's kits are ok, but they invariably have the wrong size/type guides for best performance from the blank. They also usually have the incorrect reelseat size, usually to small so the rod will be uncomfortable over a long day fishing.
I must take exception with your assessment of how Cabelas puts together a rod building kit. Please explain why you believe they would intentionally be putting together packages that will not perform well. If that were the case, word would get out quickly and they would be out of that business very soon. I certainly give them credit for being smarter than that.

Also, explain how a reel seat can possibly make a rod uncomfortable. A grip may do that, but the reel seat merely holds the reel in place, and it need be no larger than than the feet of the reels that are designed to accommodate that rod size. There are seat sizes to accomodate reel sizes as the size of the reel foot changes for larger rods.

Guides are an issue that fall in the "personal preference" category. Some people prefer oversized guides or single foot guides, but standard snake guides will perform just fine. If you are getting into competition casting, that's another animal, but there is nothing wrong with standard guides on a rod.

It sounds to me like you have some sort of axe to grind with Cabelas, especially in light of how many people on this forum and other forums I participate in have built very nice rods from Cabelas kits. Yes, Rodbuilding.org is a good resource for all levels of builders, and I believe your broad statement about Cabelas kits for beginners would not hold much water there either.

Respectfully

Joe