+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Epoxy drying wheel...

Default Epoxy drying wheel...

Ok, I've gone and done it now. I knew fly fishing, (and now tying), will be the end of me! I started tinkering with epoxy today by tying up a couple of spoon flies. I began with the holographic tape then ended with a coating of epoxy. I now see the need to build an epoxy drying wheel to allow me the ability to do more than 1 fly at a time. I know some of you old timers out there have put one together so can someone provide a list of all the necessary parts I need to build one?
    Just when I think I've got enough material or tools I somehow seem to come up with something else I need!

I agree with the need for one, but I broke down and bought one. I wanna hang in here to see what comes up on this one.

We bought a turner used for the celophane disc used to change colors of a flood light. Uses one "D" cell battery. Hooked an 8" foam disc to the revolving shaft. Turns slow, works great for us. Seems we had less than $12-$15 involved.
    ....lee s.

You need a motor, a way to mount the motor, a method to mount flies to the motor (most use a styrofoam disc), and power for the thing...How you do all this is up to you, and not all that critical as long as it works for you....

I made mine with an old rotisserie motor..Found it cheap at the thrift store....I used an old line spool and some aligator clips stuck to it for holding the flies...works great....or...

You can get low RPM motors at

www.AllElectronics.com

They have lots of different ones for differing applications, and they are cheap.

Buddy
    It Just Doesn't Matter....

I bought this one cause it runs off 4 AA batteries. And it runs a long time on them...DAYS! I like the foam and it does double as a rod drier although I have one of those also.
    Little bit of money, but my birthday present and what I wanted.

Default Anybody know rube golberg?

Here's one I cobbled up
    with a BBQ motor and shaft...since then I've taken to mounting the motor in my vise and only using a short shaft....

I've also been known to use something similar with a hand drill to wind fly line.

+ Reply to Thread