Quote Originally Posted by Clay View Post
Two short personal experiences. The stream was 4 foot across and vegatation was 2'' under the surface. With one foot on the land I started to slowly step into the stream. When one leg was up to my calf I was surprised how deep it was and shifted my weight. Yes, you guessed it, I fell in. The moving water filled my waders up and the cold water took my breath away. The current was fast enough that my feet did not touch the bottom as I was clining to the bank with both hands as my feet were being swept off of the bottom and I was more horizontal than verticle. Morale of the story, buy a wading staff and wear a wading belt.

Second story. While coming down a steep bank my feet became intangled in some vines and I went in head first. My nice new wading belt stopped most of the water from rushing in and filling up my waders but my waders were full of air and I could not get my feet under me. The water was deep enough that I could not touch the bottom with my hands so I had to swim to the other size in less than 4' of water. My fishing partner was kind and instead of laughing in my face, he turned around with his back to me to laugh his arse off while I was drowning and couldn't get my feet under me.

I still wear a wading belt, but as I was in the water head down and legs floating up, I wonder why.

Rick

Rick in your case, it sounds like the opening hit the water before anything else. While the material is breathable, air can escape but it takes awhile due to the tight weave. You basically took a pillow case and held it in the water opening first, of course the bottom of the pillowcase will fill with air, but push on it and it would sink. Same would have happened to you.

I personally feel that the belt is more for keeping water out than air in. As you stated your waders filled with water. Increased your weight and you are now trying to climb out with that extra weight...Tis tuff.

I have waded rivers where I have had to grab the shirt of the guy in front of me, because even standing, I was having a hard time getting my feet on the bottom, as the current kept pushing them aside. I was floating, and there was NO air in them there waders. They were like a second skin up to my chest.