+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Smokies Fish-In

Default Smokies Fish-In

Well, it has been awhile since this subject has been discussed, so here goes one more time:

A few of us have been talking about trying to get a Fish-In scheduled for May 12-15 in the Bryson City, NC area (or thereabouts) and have 5-6 interested parties. I have researched a nice place at which to base the event and was hoping there would be more than just us 5-6 interested (economies of scale, ya know).

If there are more than just us few, I'll ask LF to place it on the Fish-In calendar for all to see. Let's find out who is interested and I'll post more info about the site. We need to tie the place down within the next week or so. If no one else shows interest in having a Fish-In, no problem - we'll just fish without you!

I have made tentative arrangements to be ferried across Fontana Lake to fish Hazel Creek for a day, there are a ton of other streams in the area, and the bugs will be busting out all over, so the fishing should be nothing short of fantastic.

Continue this post if you are interested, and we'll continue the dialog about location, streams, events, etc. through this medium.

TL,

Dave

now that sounds like a great event.....I might find a lot of the locals that are interested in that I think a few of them are already members of FAOL anyway.

Sounds like fun to me. I regularly visit the Smokys, but have not fly fished there. Always to photograph. None of my buddies fly fish, so I haven't had the opportunity to do so.
    Would someone be willing to show a trout beginner what to do and how? Not to be asking for free guide service or anything, just a bit of coaching. I've never caught a trout on a fly rod before, lots and lots of warm water fish, but no trout.
    Is there an area for tent campers at the lodge? Seems like I saw something about this trip here about a month or so?
    This could be a great trip.

I know of at least three from WV that are planning on attending.

Chris

hi,

I would love to attend from eastern Canada. the problem for me is that it is a week before the Roscoe fishin. Sounds like a great spot and a chance to meet more great folks. Perhaps another year the timing will work better for me.

Lauder

Glad that there are a few more interested - I think we'll have a better turn-out once things get more organized.

The tentative location for the Fish-In is at Hidden Creek Cabins in Bryson City, NC. We have the Redwood Lodge (http://www.hiddencreekcabins.com/thelodge.html) being held for us until Tuesday, April 12. There are five bedrooms sleeping 8 persons in queen beds, with room for 5 bodies more on couch/futons in the living area. There are three night's stay to be paid at $45/ per night for the beds - if we get more than eight for the bedrooms, there will be a reduced price for those sleeping on the futons, but we'll cross that bridge when we come to it (maybe it'll have a bridge pool?) There are also 10 camping spaces next to the lodge with full hook-up, for only $10/night (includes towels for the showers).

If you go to the web site and take a look at the lodge, you'll see it has everything we could want for our Fish-In - a big kitchen for those wanting to cook (maybe a group chili-thing or whatever), three bathrooms with towels provided for all staying either in the lodge or those camping out, a lot of couches, and some great tables for fly-tying in the evening if anyone has any energy or attention span left after fishing all day. A lot to offer.

If you are interested in having one of the beds in a bedroom, you will need to contact the owner, Kevin, to reserve a space. He will need a $45 deposit (one night's stay) paid by either credit card (preferred) or check mailed to his address. (Identifiy yourself as attending the Fish-In) WE NEED TO FILL UP THE EIGHT BEDS IN ORDER TO RESERVE THE LODGE for the four day, three night event. Kevin is extending a courtesy to our group by giving us this price, and doing individual reservations - normally, he gets $400 + tax per night for the lodge, and requires one person to ante up the whole deposit to hold the place.

So, having the Fish-In at Hiidden Creek Cabins' Redwood Lodge (boys and girls, it is ideal for what we want to do! And inexpensive - the average motel room in the area is $75/night!) will require seven more to call Kevin with their commitment and deposit (I've already given him mine).

Once we have worked out whether or not the lodge will be the site for the Fish-In, I'll post more as to the possible activites available, liscence fees, etc. - and yes, DVC, there wil be somebody attending to take you to the Nantahala DH section (I call this stream/area "Ego Builder") to help you learn more about trout fishing). BTW, Bryson City is at the south edge of the Great Smoky Mountains National Park - there are more than 500 miles of trout streams within a 90 minute drive of Bryson City! As I mentioned in an earlier post, a trip across the lake to fish Hazel Creek in the park is a possiblity.

OK, waiting to here from y'all as to your intentions - appreciate everyone's interest so far!

TL,

Dave Cassens

Man, Dave. Everything sounds great! It's killing me that I'll be driving through NC the week before, and returning the weekend after, the fish-in. I've already tried to rearrange my schedule, but as they say, life is what happens when you're making other plans.

Have a blast!

Will

Sorry Will - looked forward to meeting you!

BTW - the phone for Kevin at Hidden Creek Cabins for reserving a bed is 888.333.5881.

Dave

Been chatting with a few attendees and looks like this is a possible schedule:

THURSDAY-fish the Nantahala DH section
    FRIDAY-Hazel Creek boat ride
    SATURDAY-hike up Big Snowbird Creek for wild brookies
    SUNDAY-break camp, fish somewhere near to your route home

Of course, you can fish wherever you'd prefer and any of the days; the above schedule is subject to change and is just for guidance.

OK - there are only six needed for the lodge now. If you have had difficulty getting in touch with Kevin to reserve your space, keep trying! He had to go on a trip this weekend, but he took his laptop and forwarded his businees telephone to his cell, so he may be somewhat hard to talk to. No problem, though, just keep trying.

FWIW, we intend to hold a Fish-In on May 12-15 in western NC; the only question right now is if we will be able to HQ it in Bryson City, and that depends on getting enough people interested in staying in the Redwood Lodge.

I have other sites in mind if the lodge doesn't work out, primarily campgrounds with some cabins, which will work fine, as I have heard from 5-6 guys who intend to camp anyway.

So, continue this thread if you are interested, or send me an email, and I will get back to you.

TL,

Dave

Dad and I are coming for sure. I think we are staying at a Comfort Inn in Bryson, but we are definitely up for the group outings.

I can't wait. (I need a vacation from school and from Colorado.)

Any ideas on what patterns I should tie up for the weekend?

JBW

+ Reply to Thread