In the beginning (1977) I was taught to use a progression formula for my guide spacing. It is suggested as a starting point for most rods but for Fly Rods at that time the taper was mostly progressive so the results from this formula could be followed strictly as the recommended spacing.

Now we have blanks with different tapers (fast, medium, and slow) so I find that with adjustments to A, L, and N (see below) I can adjust to fit to the taper of the blank. I find this to be the most useful and accurate method for calculating the perfect spacing designed for what you want the rod to do.

OK so your not a mathematician, when I started I would spend hours on this stupid calculation - drove me crazy. Now being into computers a bit I wrote my own VBA routine to do the work for me. My routine calculates the spacing in four different ways:

Generic - Kinda like using a spacing chart
Ferrule - Some builders prefer to place a guide on the middle of the ferrule - this will calculate that placement
Custom to Caster - Place Stripping guide at arms length to allow for proper line control.
Design-Your-Own - Modify the values of A, L, and N to design your own spacing.

If you would like a copy of the spacing program shoot me an e-mail and I will forward it to you. It should work on most Windows XP systems.

*** Spacing Progression Formula ***

2(L-NA)/N(N-1)=X

WHERE:
L = Distance from TipTop to Stripping Guide
A = Distance from TipTop to First Guide
N = Number of guides
D = Distance from TipTop to Guide

D1 = A
D2 = D1 + X
D3 = D2 + X
D4 = D3 + X
D5 = D4 + X