The first rod I built is a Forecast 9' 4wt from Hook & Hackle for about $75. It turned out great and it fishes great, I like it better than my Legend Ultra for most stream fishing. I am a perfectionist so I took my time and even had to redo one section but it's a good rod. Be careful on the cork grip, you have one chance. I used a rattail file as a reamer to get the grip started, then wrapped narrow griptape on an old section of rod for the final reaming. I had to dremel out the inletting for the reelseat as the hole in the grip was too narrow and cork will crack if forced to stretch. I just used scissors for a caliper to get all the guide wraps the same width.

I made my own wrapper/drier from scrap pine and used a bobbin from my fly tying to hold the thread. I bought an electric motor from radio shack for $1 , used rubberbands for drive belts and pulleys I made of pine with a holesaw to reduce the speed to 18 RPM, with skateboard wheel bearings and machine bolts for spindles.

So altogether I spent about $5 for tools. I also made a heated drying box from scrap plywood and a couple light bulbs to keep the dust and bugs from settling on the rod while it dries. The wrapper/drier fits in it.

Oh yea, I like to make my own stuff.

Greg