Quite interesting for sure. Thanks Byron.

I spent 30 yrs. of my life as a mech. tool designer for many, many varied applications. A "tool" can be as simple as a button that holds you shirt together...really it can or a complex automated insertion device that can "automagically" (thanks Hans) measure, transfer and seal liquid mercury into a fine glass tube for a balancing device attached to a temp. sensitive bi-metallic spring to regulate your home thermostat. (you might be able guess my employer...or not)....*grins* That's just one job.

The applications are as varied as the imagination. That's why I felt much trepidation at being able to perform a task. Lots of brain-work - and that's not my strong point. But when it comes right down to it a huge issue is really a series of smaller ones...you just look at it one step at a time.

The thing that always draws my interest are the many varied designs of our vises, all the different ways to secure that hook in an accessible, secure and comfortable way. I find them fascinating and have this "need" to think I could find a better way.

That need remains!! I can't!

Thanks for your sharing of your tools Byron. I love it. I'm having trouble not buying a J-vise but in all honesty I could go bonkers with the "wants". Reality sets in...!