Quote Originally Posted by hungNtree View Post
I'm planning on a few flies, nippers, tippet, and forceps. What else would you take?
Well if you are hNt, you might need a stepladder to get your fly back. Just kidding, I couldn't resist the opportunity.

Seriously though, when I go minimalist, it's usually for mountain trout where I'll be staying dry by jumping from boulder to boulder and don't feel the need to match anything specifically. The brookies will eat anything, if I show it to them right. In that environment, weight is critical; for reasons of balance as well as endurance. Here's my list of gear for such a trip:

-8' 4wt rod; I'd take smaller and lighter if I had it
-reel with 4wt weight forward line and 7.5' tapered leader, probably 3x or 4x
-a spool of 5x tippet
-a super-small fly box (available here, but may be back-ordered: http://www.flyshack.com/DisplayItem.aspx?ItemID=108738)
-a half-dozen or so comparaduns in different sizes
-a half-dozen or so nymphs in various sizes, mostly hare's ear and pheasant tail
-a couple of bucktail streamers which I never seam to use for trout
-a single football strike indicator
-a one-ounce bottle of fly floatant (I may leave this at home in the winter)
-a micro multi-tool, the Gerber Dime

That's it. Other than the rod and reel, I can fit all of it in my standard pants pockets and have room left over for my keys, wallet, and fishing license.

Of course, if I break the leader off near the butt, I'm stuck using a straight 5x leader or going home, so I may check the leader before leaving the car and replace if necessary.