Quote Originally Posted by pillcaster View Post
Since you are on TFO's staff, may I ask you a question? One of my local fly shops stopped carrying the BVK in the larger (>7) weights, and is recommending the mangrove instead. They said this was due to breakage issues. I havent had any problems, but the comment was made "a client lost the fish of a lifetime when the rod broke". I think you really cant have a really light rod and a super durable rod at the same time, you kinda have to pick your poison. What is your take on this? If I am putting you on the spot, feel free to disregard - thanks
Pillcaster, as mentioned, I'm just a casting instructor and all I can offer is my own opinion. I can't speak for TFO and I don't have access to the repair data for either rod.

Here's my opinion. The BVK and the Mangrove had different design goals. The BVK is more of a high performance design, with an emphasis on weight reduction. The primary designer for the Mangrove was Flip Parrott and his goal was to design a rod that as a guide he would like to keep on the boat for clients to use. From what I've seen, people over a wide range of casting skills just seem to like the way the Mangrove "feels" and casts. It is a popular rod.

One difference in the two rods is the thickness of the graphite walls of the rod and the thickness of the TiCr coating that TFO uses to help protect the rods from damage. Increasing the thickness of these two elements increases the durability of a rod and will help it survive being hit by a fly or other damage, but it adds weight.

I have an 8 wt BVK that I use as a Striped bass rod and I've had no problems with it and have caught some nice fish on it. Personally, the BVK would probably not be my choice for a beginner's first rod, but I do know another instructor that uses a set of BVK's for his beginning casting classes and the only one that I am aware that has broken was stepped on in a parking lot. Students rods receive a lot of abuse and I've been impressed with how well those BVK rods have performed.

So, yes, the Mangrove is designed to be a more durable rod, but I don't think there is any problem with the BVK's durability. The BVK has been on the market for several years now and if there was a serious problem with them, I don't think they would still be on the market.

Anyway, there are my thoughts and opinions on the rods. They both great rods, but they are different and the best choice for you depends on how you plan to use the rod.