Thread: 7wt for Bass

Threaded View

I can not comment on the Echo rods, but I am familiar with the TFO rods and I have several 7 wt's and I use them often. Have you cast a 7 wt TFO Clouser yet? I like the TFO Clousers. They are nice rods and I like the way they cast. The TFO BVK has a faster action and is much lighter than the Clouser. I think the 7 wt BVK is one of the best casting rods in the BVK series.

The TFO Mangrove is a newer rod from TFO and I have been very impressed the 7 wt in this series. I really like casting the 7 wt Mangrove. I'd say that it's action is somewhere between the Clouser and the BVK rods. My experience at shows and events with the Mangrove has been that many people like the Mangrove action better and it seems to be a crowd favorite. You might want to test cast a TFO Mangrove rod if you get a chance.

If you are looking for a really fast rod, the TFO Axiom is a fun rod. I regularly fish a 6 wt Axiom for bass and often have a 7 wt line on it, and I also fish and teach with a 7 wt Axiom. I like the Axiom rods a lot, but I've found that many casters prefer the actions of the Clouser, BVK, and Mangrove rods.

With all that said, I'm a casting instructor on TFO's pro staff, so obviously I do not have an unbiased opinion.

If at all possible, cast the rods that you are interested in, and then pick the one that you are most comfortable casting. Have fun looking!
    Last edited by RexW; 11-18-2014 at 03:09 PM.