+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Anybody use Tyvek

Hybrid View

Works great for wings, which you've figured out.

Works well for wing cases where you want the underlying materials to show through just a little.

I like it as an overwrap on flashy bodies where you want to be a little more subtle.

You can color it with permanent markers and use it for carapaces on crawfish or shrimp patterns.

Colored and cut into thin strips, it makes nice wrapped bodies on larger flies/streamers.

It's ideal for simple midges, all you need is a thin strip of Tyvek and some markers. Use clear sewing thread, tie in and wrap the Tyvek to make the body, rib with the clear thread, tie off. A quick swipe up the back with a marker in your choice of color (Yellow and chartreuse are my favorites), a dab of dark brown or black for the head, and you have a very effective midge. In sizes 20-24 I've done well on tailwater streams like the San Juan in New Mexico.

Take a bunch of thin strips of the stuff, mix in some Krystal Flash, and it makes a very interesting tail for top water poppers.

Cut into a curl, it makes 'twister tails' for bass/panfish flies.

I'm sure others have additional uses for it.

Buddy
    It Just Doesn't Matter....

Pat Dorsey ties his stonefly with it and markers. Neat looking fly, but a time consuming fly to tie.
    Gene

Quote Originally Posted by Buddy Sanders View Post
    Works well for wing cases where you want the underlying materials to show through just a little.
    You can color it with permanent markers ...
    It is great for wingcases, especially on stoneflies with the multi-folded wingcases. As mentioned you can colour it with permanent markers to match your nympyhs.

Thank you for all of the insight and examples. I've been on a dry kick lately so it's time to go buy a wing burner!

Quote Originally Posted by 907FlyGuy View Post
    Thank you for all of the insight and examples. I've been on a dry kick lately so it's time to go buy a wing burner!
    Actually nail clippers work very well for shaping wings.

That makes sense. Nice tip! Thanks!

If you go to the FAOL search feature and enter tyvek there is a couple of interesting entries.

Tim

+ Reply to Thread