+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Suggestions Requested

Hybrid View

Hi Guys,

Thanks for the suggestions. So far I've tyed some Royal Wulffs, Spruces, female Adams, and Lllamas. I'm going to try and tye some colorful bass wet flies and the Holberton(I always liked this one) as well as some hairwing salmon flies and maybe a couple of somewhat 'realistic' type flies. I have to use flies that are proportionate to the size of the glass bulb. For medium bulbs I was thinking of a set of Wulffs - all different. For the large, I guess the salmon or Rangely type streamers will be needed.
    Thanks again.

Allan

Spun green deer hair in the shape of a Christmas Tree.

When I did this a few years ago I tied dry flies so they would remain 'perky' after a couple of years. I attached a piece of 7X tippet at the balance point (behind the wing) to the fly would remain suspended horizontal in the middle of they glass.

I have used a number of clear plastic ornaments available from Michael's and Hobby Lobby. They are in two halves making it VERY easy to put (or hang) something inside. The problem with anything smaller than about a size 8 is that it disappears. Eventually I focused on spun hair flies and large clousers.
    "So many people are out there doing things they call environmentalism, but only because it's politically correct or has a lot of cache."

It's not a fly you would fish with but Betty's hummingbird is a great looking piece. I have gifted a few of them to friends and family and it is about the only time anyone has ever been impressed with my fly tying. It can be found in the archives on this site.

allan,

being from new york, how about an ausable wullf, ausable bomber, coffin fly, or any of the catskill paterns.

maybe a grey ghost or a nine three

Thanks again for all the suggestions. Couldn't find Betty's Hummingbird but there are a lot of colorful flies in print - as in the Mary O. Marbury book. Some Catskill flies will go into the smallest glass bulbs.

Allan

Allan,

Here is a link to Betty's Hummingbird. I have made many of these for Christmas presents over the years and it is very well received.

http://www.flyanglersonline.com/flyt...112706fotw.php
    Warren
    Fly fishing and fly tying are two things that I do, and when I am doing them, they are the only 2 things I think about. They clear my mind.

+ Reply to Thread