I interpreted the question differently than you. I was answering this first question.

"I have read a bit on strike triggers, and know that some folks think that certain features on streamers add to the attactiveness to fish, and help the frequency that fish will actually take the streamer.

What are some of the features that you think, or have read, help to make streamers work better?"

I can see that later, Gandolf asks about adding features. Upon re-reading his original post, I think your interpretation is correct.

I believe any streamer that has a bulky front will push water when retrieved. I guess we have to disagree on this point.

In his book Long Flies, Gary Borger discusses the design properties of streamers. They include "displacement, color, shape, and action" (pp. 67).

Gary specifically discusses water "displacement" and "acoustic footprint" on pp 63-64, 67, and 93. The muddler minnow was one of the first flies with this feature. Gary writes, the muddler minnow's "success comes from the deer hair head, which causes the fly to give off a positive acoustic footprint. In the early days of its development, no one attributed it's success to the displacement waves it made." As you know the muddler minnow is a sculpin imitation just like you state your pattern is.

I submit that a key feature that your fly shares with a muddler minnow is the large head, even larger and flatter than a muddler minnow. It looks like an under water popper. I have no doubt that the displacement wave that it creates on the retrieve is a key feature to its success.

I even wonder if giving the front face of the fly a light brushing with clear silicone caulk would make the fly more effects in off color water. It would stiffen the face of the fly and create a larger displacement wave.