+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: I quit my club

Hybrid View

Blog Entries

Frankly, I have been to a number of fly fishing clubs that operate as the OP described... No sure, but I think the mindset that makes folks fly fishers does not lend itself to crowds.

you are welcome to my fly fishing /tying club. You can even be vice president that would make 2 of us in the club..I left T.U. chapter after they would not use my shop but kept asking for donations. and i joined tu in 1970...No more...now only a few close friends that belong come by...
    sandfly/bob
    N.J.B.B.A. #2215
    I did not escape.....they gave me a day pass!
    from the outer edge of nowhere
    fly tying and fishing ghillie..

It is such a shame that some clubs are cliques.I have seen so called service organizations that are cliques.As soon as I see that I am out of there.I try to give back when I can.This is why I am content here

Jim, happy to have you here and I'm happy to be here too.... FAOL has some great members and contributors, keep having fun.

I think I learn something new most every time I'm on this site.
    Last edited by dr korn; 03-01-2013 at 12:35 AM.
    Doug... a.k.a. 55dougie

http://55onthefly.blogspot.com/

Jim, your story amazes me! Hope you shared it with the current club president. They need a major wake up call.

Kinda reminds me of the Orvis Store in Roseville, CA.

I was going to join a local club, but realized that I have FAOL.
    ‎"Trust, but verify" - Russian Proverb, as used by Ronald Reagan

Nothing like a group that is so insecure as to kiss each others arse end to be accepted. Jim you are a good guy and have the patience of a saint. I would have left within the first year if I was treated like that. Anywho, you know you are accepted and respected here. Feel free to share your fishing stories with us.
    Trout don't speak Latin.

This story makes me a little sad. Flyfishing is already looked upon by a lot of non-flyfishers as an expensive, fussy and elitest sport. It's sad when fly fishers perpetuate those myths.

The expample you sited that surprises me the most is #6. I find it laughable that you actually received a "campaign call" from an officer candidate. Among the groups I've been affiliated with, the election process is more like: folks talk it up, someone says "I nominate so and so.", and that person is usually elected unanimously. But an actual campaign call, really?

I've been casually affiliated with 2 FF clubs and more actively involved in a 3rd (I am the current president). I guarantee that no one has EVER been treated this way by any of these 3 clubs. I hate to say it but that might be because I live in eastern South Dakota. Not exactly a hot-bed of fly fishing activity. Most of us in South Dakota are so happy to find someone else to talk fly fishing with that we don't care who you are or what your story is!
    Last edited by Royce; 03-01-2013 at 01:37 PM.

"PLEASE ACCEPT MY RESIGNATION. I DON'T WANT TO BELONG TO ANY CLUB THAT WILL ACCEPT ME AS A MEMBER."
    Groucho Marx

...that group of people does not sound like fun...

PT/TB
    Daughter to Father, "How many arms do you have, how many fly rods do you need?"
    http://planettrout.wordpress.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Royce View Post
    Most of us in South Dakota are so happy to find someone else to talk fly fishing with that we don't care who you are or what your story is!
    Exactly!

Jim...your experience was so horrible...I feel like joining that club just so I can quit it too!
    David Merical
    St. Louis, MO

+ Reply to Thread