+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Thingamabobber tip

Default Thingamabobber tip

As neuropathy makes my fingers increasingly numb, I am having to find new ways to adapt and improvise. I spent several frustrating minutes at streamside yesterday trying to thread my leader through the small hole on a Thingamabobber. Then the light bulb lit. I pulled a few inches of tippet off a spool, threaded it through the small hole, around my leader at the desired spot, and then back through the small hole. Puling on the tippet loop got my leader through the small hole with ease.

A magnetic fly threader works well for me, even on surprisingly small flies. Still struggling with knot tying devices and procedures, but practice and a different set of hemostats should help. Meanwhile, the Weaver's Knot, which you'll find in the knots section of the main board, still works for me. I'm just slower at it than when I could feel my fingers.

Great idea; that would work when hands get cold in winter, too (which is usually when I'm using a Thingamabobber). I tried using a floss threader but my vest ate it up.

Regards,
    Scott

PS on this: I've learned that with small. light, flies, it really helps to attach a chunk of soft weight to their hoo9ks before starting the Weaver's Knot. It really helps to have a bit of gravity on your side!

Oldfrat - you have mentioned more than once your difficulty with knots and numb fingers. I don't see that I can send you an private email. So I now send this instruction for you (and everyone else) for ease in tying knots onto hooks. Getting the tippet through the eye of the hook is the only hard part.
    Regards,
    Greg

Hemostat Knots
    In a normal Pitzen knot the tag end is wrapped around both the (reversed)
    loop and the standing line, and then is put through the reverse bend of the loop.

If you look only at the portion of line forming the knot on the standing line, you will see that the knot itself is a cinch knot. A Pitzen Knot is a Cinch Knot (back) around a standing line. (The knot shown is also called a Sixteen/Twenty Knot, a Six Knot or a Weaver Knot. Perhaps the distinction between it and a Pitzen is the direction that the tag goes through the knot loop. It does not matter here.)
    I do not wrap the tag end around the loop with either my fingers or hemos as many knots are tied. In this version, the hemos act like a stick to twist a loop around the standing line (while coincidentally wrapping the standing line around the hemos too). Then the hemos are opened slightly to grasp the tag end and pull it through the wrapped mess.

I am right handed. When doing the following knot I hold the fly in my left hand. (This is where the fly could even be in a fly patch or similar.) Your fly line and rod are on considered to be on your right.

Put the fly on the tippet and pull about 5" of material through the eye.
    Bring the end of the tippet (tag) back to the right, parallel to the standing line and pinch
    both standing and tag end with your right hand. This allows you to momentarily let go of the fly and reposition your left hand.
    Palm the fly and bent back tippet in your left hand, and pinch the two parts of the line coming from the eye of the hook (the standing line and the tag).

Now with your right hand, take the tag end and make a (circle) loop back toward the
    hook (at the left thumb pinch) and lay the tag end in the crack between your thumb and forefinger, with about 3/4" of the end tag protruding upwards from the pinch. The pattern of the loop created and the part pointing up should now look like a "6". You are now holding the fly and all tippet in your left hand.
    To clarify,
    1. You will probably not see your fly because you are crushing it in the palm of your left hand.
    2. To the right of the pinch will be the standing (incoming) line and a loop about 1" across.
    3. Sticking up above the pinch will be about 3/4" of tippet. Do you see the "6"?
    Take your hemos (in your right hand, obviously) and unsnap them, but keep the tips together. Engage the standing line with your right pinkie finger, or between your right ring finger, this will be about 7" to 10" from the fly, and gently draw your hands apart horizontally. The purpose of this is to keep the standing line parallel to the hemostats. The concern now is to keep a light tension between your left and right hand to ensure the standing line between your hands doesn't sag so much that you are chasing it when you do the next step.

With the hemo tip closed, insert the tip into the loop at your left thumb about 1", but not past the hinge on the hemos. The standing line should be lying alongside the hemos. You have not grabbed (pinched) anything with the hemos yet ? keep them on your fingers.
    Next, act as if you are trying to wrap (twist) the tip of the hemos (+ loop) around the standing line - by rotating your right wrist (mildly) 3 times or 4 times (no more - and it doesn't matter whether clockwise or counter-clockwise). The loop and the standing line BOTH wrap (twist) around the hemos and make what looks like a mess. Leaving the hemos in the ?mess?, open them very slightly and grasp the tag end (which should be readily accessible above your left thumb/pinch ? the top of the "6"). Gently pull the tag end THROUGH the mess. Open your hemos slightly and carefully and extract them (mostly backwards) from any line still wrapped around them. Return the hemos to their 'home'.

Holding the fly in your left hand and the standing line in your right, moisten the knot and pull your hands apart thus tightening the knot, you should feel the knot do the 'Pitzen lock'.
    Why this works:
    In this version the loop and the standing line are wrapped together and the tag end is pulled through everything, including the remaining portion of the loop. It works because when the hook and the standing line are pulled, the standing line becomes stiff and slick, and the wraps sort themselves out because they are at that point the only supple part.

Not to brag but, using this method I can do a Pitzen knot in 20 seconds (and you soon will too), so I have ceased to care about absolute knot strength. It is the only knot I use because I can get back to fishing.

Now realizing that you have tied a knot around a standing line, it is easy to move on to the next step. Use the same knot routine to tie a knot around a line that is different than the line that makes the knot. Then we can have back to back Pitzens and create leaders or join tippets to leaders. It is much faster for me than the Blood Knot.
    Hoping this helps - I wish I could send a video. There is a brass tool that does this job and other knots. It can do a cinch knot very easily, but not an 'improved' one. It costs $20 Cdn and is just another thing to carry, but if you have a fly shop in your area you could go and look at the
    instructions and then use your hemos instead of the tool.
    Last edited by Greg H; 10-12-2012 at 12:42 AM.

I tie a Eugene bend Knot with hemostats .It is fast and strong.
    http://rackelhanen.se/eng/10066.htm

Quote Originally Posted by oldfrat View Post
    As neuropathy makes my fingers increasingly numb, I am having to find new ways to adapt and improvise. I spent several frustrating minutes at streamside yesterday trying to thread my leader through the small hole on a Thingamabobber. Then the light bulb lit. I pulled a few inches of tippet off a spool, threaded it through the small hole, around my leader at the desired spot, and then back through the small hole. Puling on the tippet loop got my leader through the small hole with ease.
    A bobbin threader might be easier to use. Just thinking out loud.

A lot of the guys around the north Georgia area are using the "Davy Knot" which is an easy tie. If you use it leave a generous tag and test pull it snug before offering you fly to the fish. When playing with the device for the amputees at CoachBob's request, I was able to tie on a fly only using my right hand. Below is a good Youtube video on how to tie it, there ar several other videos also.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_SRBfsQz-sM
    Last edited by Uncle Jesse; 10-12-2012 at 11:40 AM.
    Want to hear God laugh? Tell him Your plans!!!

Quote Originally Posted by okflyfisher View Post
    I tie a Eugene bend Knot with hemostats .It is fast and strong.
    http://rackelhanen.se/eng/10066.htm
    Good image of how to set up the tippet for tying the knot. I wonder if Mr. Pitzen's first name was Eugene and he was a Weaver.

Thanks for the help, with special thanks to Greg, for such a detailed explanation!

I had planned to try that hemostat knot on this trip, but found that the hemos I carry have jaws that are way too thick and flat to make it work (more of a multi-tool than standard hemos). I'll try it again with a standard pair of hemos and see if I can get it to work.

Steven, a bobbin threader would also do the trick, but the tippet does the same thing with something we already carry. Indeed, my light bulb came on when I had the thought that I wished I had a bobbin threader with me, and then basically improvised one with tippet.

Quote Originally Posted by oldfrat View Post
    Thanks for the help, with special thanks to Greg, for such a detailed explanation!

I had planned to try that hemostat knot on this trip, but found that the hemos I carry have jaws that are way too thick and flat to make it work (more of a multi-tool than standard hemos). I'll try it again with a standard pair of hemos and see if I can get it to work.

Steven, a bobbin threader would also do the trick, but the tippet does the same thing with something we already carry. Indeed, my light bulb came on when I had the thought that I wished I had a bobbin threader with me, and then basically improvised one with tippet.
    Understood. I was just thinking that a bobbin threader may be a bit more stable, therefore easier to use.

+ Reply to Thread