Quote Originally Posted by JohnScott View Post

The October Caddis is the fishies' last chance for a big meal before winter.

So you're saying that minnows, sculpins, stonefly nymphs (salmonfly, golden, skwala) don't qualify as big meals? or that they're not available to the trout before winter? I'm just a dumb easterner, but I know that statement is laughable at best or patently wrong at worst.

Or is it that I selectively took a statement, possibly out of context, and twisted it around to denigrate and trivialize the author? That sure doesn't happen very often, does it?:

Quote Originally Posted by JohnScott View Post
For those of us who fish the West year round, every month of the year, in a variety of locations, Spruce Moth patterns would be excess baggage most of the time, and quite possibly all the time. For example, fishing 125-135 days a year in Montana and Idaho, I've never tied, left home with, and fished a Spruce Moth pattern.

Not saying that Spruce Moths don't make for an interesting fly angling experience in places where they are available to trout, and not saying that Doug's pattern .... aren't really good examples of flies that will fish well in those places for a short time in the summer - just saying that hyping it to be a year around fly for the entire West is a bit much.

John