Quote Originally Posted by Poke 'Em View Post
Next week at this time I'll be in Alberta, fishing for cutthroats and bull trout. My dilemma is just that - I'll be fishing for cutthroats, where the average fish will be 13-14" and I'll be tossing dry flies, and I'll be fishing for bull trout, which can run up to 30" and where I'll be flinging big (as in, size 1), heavy streamers. So my 7 weight would be overkill for the cutts, but my five isn't going to cast those big weighted flies very well.

So, has anyone ever carried two rods on a walk/wade trip? I was thinking I could just lash my 7 weight to my backpack (unfortunately it's a 2-piece) and fish my five until I come to a very bull trouty looking hole (or if I get a bull to take a swipe at a cutthroat that I have on), and then switch to my 7 weight for that hole, then go back to my five. With my 7 weight only being a two piece though, it's not going to be particularly easy to carry around when I'm not using it. Anyone got any ideas?
Why you dont just make yourself a rod quiver like they use for arrows back in the day. Piece of PVC pipe say inch and a half, piece of nylon cord quarter inch or so about 5 ft. long, end cap for pipe, and a nice heavy medium size rubber band. Top of the pipe cut a notch half to three quarter inch wide and about two inches deep down the side of the tube. This is to catch the reel foot when you slide the rod into the tube. Below the notch about a half inch drill two holes 3/16 or 1/4" bit is good, inline with the notch. These will be used for the rubber band. While yo got the drill in your hand drill two more holes on the other side of the pipe from the notch at two at the top and two at the bottom (above were the end cap will sit). Theses will be used for the cord. Now before you say DUH or why do I need two holes for the cord, it so you can adjust the cord to fit your needs and it keeps the knots on the outside of the tube. Whoops almost forgot the rubber band, string it thru the two holes at the top below the notch. In one hole out the other and then back thru the rubber band. Now after you sand the edges of the notch drop your rod with the reel installed down the tube reel in the notch and stretch the rubber band over the reel. Sling it over your shoulder and check for proper fit and comfort. I know I didn't mention cutting the tube to length. Give me a break I'm eating left overs while I type this. Is it just me or does spaghetti sauce always taste better the second day.