Quote Originally Posted by Byron haugh View Post
I haven't used Mustafd hooks for many years

I don't personally know of any tiers today who use Mustads. I'm sure some/many do, but none who I know
You are so right. Mustad produces an inferior hook. It's too heavy, too short in the shank, too long in the point and barb, too wide in the gape, the eyes are frquently unfinished, the steel is too brittle and the hooks break too easily, the hooks are way too dull and need sharpening right out of the box, and lastly they are over-priced! Mustad hooks are so bad that it's amazing that any trout are actually caught on a fly tyed on a Mustad hook. Thank goodness for the new chemically treated hooks that are proportionately correct, lightweight, bend without breaking, are so sharp that you won't know you're hooked until you wonder where your cast went.
Now before any of you get upset, this is all written tongue 'n cheek. The idea that Mustad trout hooks are inferior in any way to the comparative hooks by other manufacturers is a joke.
Not sure where the Dettes opined that Mustad hooks were inferior. Inferior to what and when, if it was actually said, did they offer that opinion?

Allan