Thread: About that color thing ...

Threaded View

Katy, Texas (Houston is our biggest suburb!)
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by JohnScott View Post
    I do disagree with this observation, that in sunny conditions the bottom would look whiteish. The stronger the backlight ( the sun ), the darker the bottom of the fly should appear from below. In low light conditions ( morning, evening, cloud cover ), more color should be perceptible, and perhaps in optimum conditions, all color should be observable.

John
    John:

You are correct. Unfortunately, I left the 'critical' part of that comment out. My intent was to say that the bottom of objects on the surface would appear black, while those submerged would be seen as a fish would see the actual color, given the water conditions at the time. Interestingly, the temperature of the water apparently can actually alter the apparent color of an object, as perceived by man. I have personally observed, as a diver, pronounced color alterations with abrupt changes in salinity in marine environments; such as locations where large volumes of freshwater are flowing directly into the ocean.

Unfortunately, we cannot "think" like a fish (maybe we SHOULD be thankful that we can't; otherwise where would the fun be?). I have had similar experiences, both with trout and with our local 'bream', which can be extremely 'selective' when they want to be. It must be remembered that, afterall, a fish is a fish is a fish; regardles of where it lives.

Regards,
    Frank
    Last edited by aged_sage; 07-18-2012 at 11:48 AM.