+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Short Fly Rods for Small Streams

Just putting in my 2cents here, 85 to 90% of my fishing is done on small creeks with over hanging bankside brush with low overhead canopy. A 6ft6in 3wt Diamondglass rod (3wt DT) seems to work very well for me. On small streams I seldom use anything longer than an 8ft 4wt glass rod.

Just sayin. . .

My winter projects are to build some small stream rods so here are my choices FWIW.
    1. a 6'8" Banty made from a 9' bamboo mid and tip with a removable handle. will probably throw a 4wt
    2. Lamiglas 6'6" fiberglass 4 wt. I just like that fiberglass action and It's becoming a replacement for a 6' Fenwick i sold a few years ago and now miss.
    3. 6'6" Orvis superfine 3wt I really like this rod when I cast it a few weeks ago so now it's on the short list.
    The only things we permanently keep, are those we give away-Waite Philips

BigA:

I split the Driftless into two seasons: Early season, I fish a 9' 5-weight or 8.5' 4-weight. I figure the chances are good I'm going to wind up nymphing much of the day, so I think the length more appropriate. On the streams I usually fish, casts are pretty much straight up stream -both dry fly and nymph - not much need for mending.

Late June through the end of the season, I pretty much begin to go small with 7.5' or 7' four-weights. Terrestrial season has started big time and I rarely have a nymph on my tippet. Not much going on with mayflies until September's brood of BWO's anyway; Epherons are burrowers. The likelihood of needing something to nymph with is pretty small. I also think you'd want something with a fuller flex, sometimes you'll be casting just a leader and maybe a foot or two of line.

I've found two exceptions to this: 1) If it's been raining recently, think about using a San Juan worm. Generations of farm boys have been fishing worms after rains. Why not us FIBs? 2) In late June - if the Hexes are still going, a big nymph could be ticket - particularly if the water isn't very clear.

My next rod is going to be a Superfine Touch 7' 4wt. I've broken my 4wt 7' boo so many times, enough is enough.

Quote Originally Posted by kbproctor View Post
    I'm not sure I see the word "Exactly" in that last sentence. Don't jump on me if you can't be clear and concise as to your meaning.

We do know that at least one person does it and you have seen documentation to that fact so that proves that somebody does it and therefore your statement is still wrong because Lefty actually does do it.
    Quote Originally Posted by deathb4disco View Post
    Good grief.
    I second the "Good grief." It was a perfectly simple question. And the meaning was completely clear and concise. Give the guy a break.
    Tim

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by tlerm View Post
    I second the "Good grief." It was a perfectly simple question. And the meaning was completely clear and concise. Give the guy a break.
    I had already dropped it. I had made my point. Are you trying to stir things up again? If he had been clear and concise, I would not have misunderstood and he did answer his own question. At least one person does it and because one of the Gods of Fly Fishing does it, there are quite likely others that do too.

It does seem like a lot of work to go through to pull things apart to make a cast, then stuff everything back together just to need to pull it all apart again to mend or roll cast or whatever. Perhaps that is what threw me, the idea that anyone would go to all that trouble. I have been in situations where I got to a spot I wanted to fish and had a long rod with me when a short one was called for and dropped the butt section to fish with the top 3, but I didn't do as Lefty did and cast then put it all back together. I lose enough fish on my own without giving them the opportunity to spit the fly while I'm fumbling around trying to put my rod back together.
    Kevin

Be careful how you live. You may be the only Bible some person ever reads.

Big A,
    A few years ago a similar discussion took place on this board and some people touted the Cabelas 7'6" 3wt ( $100 ) for the complete package. I bought one and wow what a value. The rod is a pleasure to use and proof that you don't have to spend a fortune to get a good rod. It has become one of my go to rods for any situation but it really shines in the small stream category.
    Another option is to go to Global Dorber and look at the "little streamer" outfit. It's made for what you are looking for.
    Grandado

Currently land-locked in South-Central Indiana, USA

BigA,

I'm a small/tiny water fanatic, and fish 3 weights almost all of the time, mostly dries, really nothing weighted, and sizes typically 14 and smaller. I absolutely love the sub-seven foot range of rods for this type of application. The advantages they bring about for "tight quarters" more than compensate for their less than stellar performance in distance, easier line mending etc. that a longer rod brings. Accuracy and keeping the fly out of the vegetation trumps all in tight overgrown small streams with canopies. I'm not familiar with the Driftless area, but if that is what you're dealing with, I think a 6 to 7 foot rod is ideal. And I'll add that I prefer slower "soft action" rods, but I don't think that is a requirement. As long as the rod will load well with the amount of line out you'll typically be using, it's just what your personal preference dictates.

As to the "Lefty Kreh" issue... I'm far too lazy to take a rod apart and "deal with" the butt section just to cast a "short" rod. Then try and put the thing back together while trying to "fish" the cast I just made. Maybe on still water, but anywhere else... It may have been demonstrated as a "tactic", but I have a hard time seeing anyone actually utilizing it. (And never have.) An archer cast would likely be much more effective, and probably require even less "room" to execute. Not to mention a heck of a lot easier to "fish" effectively. Taking nothing away from Lefty, this seems more like a party trick to me. Fun to watch, but not really practical.

---David

Life's a series of trade-offs in the Driftless. Sometimes you have canopies and overhanging trees where the short rod makes sense and roll casts are a must. Many streams have high banks and tall weeds (particularly in the summer, obviously) where a long rod would make the most sense in order to keep one's fly out of the weeds.

Variations are pretty endless. About the most you can say is that a toss of more than 30'-35' is rarely if ever needed and accuracy is at a premium.

Quote Originally Posted by Grandado View Post
    Big A,
    A few years ago a similar discussion took place on this board and some people touted the Cabelas 7'6" 3wt ( $100 ) for the complete package. I bought one and wow what a value. The rod is a pleasure to use and proof that you don't have to spend a fortune to get a good rod. It has become one of my go to rods for any situation but it really shines in the small stream category.
    Another option is to go to Global Dorber and look at the "little streamer" outfit. It's made for what you are looking for.
    Grandado
    That Cabela's Three Forks rod is my all-time small stream rod. I fish it with a 4 wt. line in close. The rod alone sells for $49.95. Can't miss for that price. I tried to buy a\the blank alone several years ago, but they don't sell it. But for the $39.95 I spent on the rod at the time, I have no complaints.

Chuck

Quote Originally Posted by Utah David View Post
    Taking nothing away from Lefty, this seems more like a party trick to me. Fun to watch, but not really practical.

---David
    My opinion exactly.

+ Reply to Thread