+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Waxing ferrules

1. Default

SAGE: Periodically wax the ferrules (where the rod pieces separate) lightly with paraffin to ensure a firm fit and proper function.

http://www.sageflyfish.com/equipment-care.html

Orvis includes ferrule wax with each rod purchase and the booklet that comes with each rod recommends using ferrule wax:

http://www.orvis.com/store/product.aspx?pf_id=9G97

I've been using paraffin wax on my rod ferrules for decades and I have never had a ferrule stick or come apart on any of my rods. I've seen many, many, many rods come in for repair when the owner tries to remove stuck sections or when their rod comes apart during fishing. I have never received a rod for repair because of grit or dirt wearing out the ferrule, but it is a good practice to take care of your rod, put it in a case and sock and keep it clean and free of grit, sand or dirt.

Note: Do not use wax on the metal ferrules found on bamboo rods.
    Last edited by afishinado; 10-14-2011 at 10:08 AM.

Years ago, I had concerns about 2 methods...
    1) I viewed wax as something that would "build up" on a ferrule & be difficult to clean.
    2) The old "wipe the ferrule on the side of your nose" method would contain salt from perspiration & body oils.

I then had occasion to visit noted bamboo rod builder Jeff Wagner. I asked Jeff about the ferrule issue & I still use his method......BATH SOAP! Yep, just give those ferrules a swipe with a bar of Ivory & I've never since had a stuck ferrule. After all, what's easier to clean off a rod than soap....a quick rinse & wipe. You'll never see my bag without it.
    Just another alternative.
    Mike
    FAOL..All about caring, sharing, & good friends!!

I own a couple of bamboo rods where the ferrule fit has become slightly loose.
    I use a small amount of wax to more securely join the sections while I fish.
    Works great.....so far! I know I'll eventually have to address this problem.

Electroplating of the nickel silver male ferrule is a good solution.

Can't speak to graphite rods.
    When you can arrange your affairs to go fishing, forget all the signs, homilies, advice and folklore. JUST GO.

Sounds like some folks here think that Don Greene doesn't have a clue about how to care for ferrules. I think he does. He is one of the finest rod designers of our time. The recommendation from the beginning of the glass-to-glass or graphite-to-graphite ferrules has been to lubricate them with paraffin.

Glass and graphite ferrules should be kept clean and waxed with a very thin coat of paraffin.

As a bamboo rod maker that makes ferrules I think I can say with some authority that metal ferrules should be kept clean and the male slide should be coated with a very thin coating of paraffin or Ivory soap. If you can see the coating it is too thick. I pack a small block of paraffin with every rod I ship.

I have yet to hear a satisfactory explanation of why a metal to metal ferrule fit is correct. I hear a lot of old wives tales and parroting of old wives tales but nothing of any substance.

If I am all wet on the metal ferrule fit then someone please enlighten me.

fishbum

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by fishbum View Post
    Glass and graphite ferrules should be kept clean and waxed with a very thin coat of paraffin.

As a bamboo rod maker that makes ferrules I think I can say with some authority that metal ferrules should be kept clean and the male slide should be coated with a very thin coating of paraffin or Ivory soap. If you can see the coating it is too thick. I pack a small block of paraffin with every rod I ship.

If I am all wet on the metal ferrule fit then someone please enlighten me.

fishbum

When you lap ferrules are you lubricating them? No. You are checking your fit dry. You probably include ferrule plugs to keep the dirt out, don't you? You mentioned that ferrules need to be kept clean twice above. How often do folks actually clean the female ferrule? Is there going to be dirt in there? Of course there is.

You are completely missing the point. DIRT is the enemy, not the wax. Ferrules stick because of DIRT. Ferrules get loose because of DIRT wearing them down. Dirt and dust stick to wax and oil. There will be less dirt if you do not put anything on the the ferrule for dirt to stick to.

The problem is that 90% of the people that wax a ferrule, graphite or metal, never clean the danged thing. Most of them never think to clean the ferrule after it sticks. No, they try to free it by twisting and break or otherwise damage the rod.

How much dirt is already in the oil you use from the side of your nose? You washed your face? OK, what about the dust devil you walked through getting to the stream? How about the dust you might kick up on the path or trail getting there? Some of that stuck to the oil on your nose and you just put dirt on your ferrules that will cause more wear.

Keeping a ferrule clean means more than just wiping off the male side. You have to clean the dirt impregnated wax and oil out of the female side, too. Ferrule plugs will certainly help keep dirt out, but they do nothing for the dirt and oil that is transferred by oiling or waxing a male ferrule. Since it is near impossible to get people to clean things, adding a dirt trapping material to a ferrule is just plain silly.

This is simple common sense, guys, not rocket science.
    Kevin

Be careful how you live. You may be the only Bible some person ever reads.

Western Portal Sequoia National Forest & the G.T.W., Kern River, CA.

Default Starting to detect a pattern here?.

Just adding to the data already posted. Referenced by Company, section ,excerpt and web source.

Quote Originally Posted by afishinado View Post
    SAGE: Periodically wax the ferrules (where the rod pieces separate) lightly with paraffin to ensure a firm fit and proper function.

http://www.sageflyfish.com/equipment-care.html

Orvis includes ferrule wax with each rod purchase and the booklet that comes with each rod recommends using ferrule wax:

http://www.orvis.com/store/product.aspx?pf_id=9G97

I've been using paraffin wax on my rod ferrules for decades and I have never had a ferrule stick or come apart on any of my rods. I've seen many, many, many rods come in for repair when the owner tries to remove stuck sections or when their rod comes apart during fishing. I have never received a rod for repair because of grit or dirt wearing out the ferrule, but it is a good practice to take care of your rod, put it in a case and sock and keep it clean and free of grit, sand or dirt.

Note: Do not use wax on the metal ferrules found on bamboo rods.

Echo Rods from Rajeff Sports.
    Paraffin wax can also be used on the ferrules if needed to ensure a proper fit.
    http://www.rajeffsports.com/echo_warranty.php

St. Croix Owner Manuals

Proper Rod Assembly Technique.

3. Periodically apply a thin film of wax to the male ferrule section. This will allow the rod sections to seat securely, which prevents them from separating during use. A special ferrule wax is available from St. Croix.
    http://www.stcroixrods.com/content/owner_manuals

Winston Rod Co.

Should I use wax on my ferrules?
    There is no right or wrong answer to this question. Many experienced fly fishers insist on this practice. Also, many experienced fly fishers insist against this practice. If the wax is applied and then cleaned after every other use on a consistent basis then we believe this can extend the life of the ferrule. Otherwise, the wax simply attracts dust and grime and can actually shorten the life of the ferrule.
    How do I care for my Winston rod?
    Never put your rod back in the tube wet. The finish may be damaged and you'll shorten the life of the wraps. Simply clean the rod off with a soft cloth and allow to dry.
    Don't try to force ferrules together; internal spigot ferrules are designed to have a gap that allows for future wear. A nice, snug fit is what you're looking for. With sleeve ferrules, rubbing a little paraffin wax on the male end can help.
    When not in use, always store your rod in the tube. Almost all of the rods we repair are victims of car doors and windows.

http://web.winstonrods.com/resources/answers#ferrules

Redington

Product Care / Rods

Maintain the life and proper fit of the ferrules by rubbing a bit of paraffin onto them. This makes for a firm, secure fit and also makes sections easier to separate. Remove dirt or grime on ferrules if needed.
    http://www.redington.com/product-care.html

Hardy Rods

Care of your Hardy rod.

Rub the spigots or joints regularly with candle wax (Do not use Chemical based lubricants). This prevents premature wear of the carbon to carbon joints, provides a secure friction fit during fishing and ease of separation at the end of a day's fishing.

http://fly.hardyfishing.com/en-us/customer-service/rod-care.php

Hardy Brothers Cane Rods.

Cane Rod Care

If your ferules are tight, lubricate them with plain dry soap, especially if the rod hasn't been used frequently.

http://www.hardyfishing.com/en-gb/customer-service/product-care-and-maintenance/cane-rod-care.php

When taken cumulatively, this group of rod makers have a great deal of exposure to rod warranty issues, which would include their rod care and maintenance advice. If you want to Know what is right for your rod, go to the source.

I'm in the paraffin storm candle camp - been there for over forty years.

Best Dave
    Last edited by Dave E; 10-14-2011 at 03:14 PM.

Wow, industry standards,and rod makers suggest the use of paraffin, yet we are told by some that wax is the "DEVIL"? I know which way I am going on this. Actually, I have been using candles for years with no troubles.

Hmmmmm, how do we feel about the cleaning and care of fly lines today?

When you lap ferrules are you lubricating them? No. You are checking your fit dry.

Yes, a lubricant is used while lapping a ferrule to fit. The next time you lap a #30 ferrule let us know how well it works out without using some lubricant to check the fit.

You probably include ferrule plugs to keep the dirt out, don't you?

Yes, a ferrule plug is provided however, on my rods it is not to keep the female clean albeit a benefit, but to protect the tip sections from the rubber butt cap on the butt end of the rod.

You mentioned that ferrules need to be kept clean twice above. How often do folks actually clean the female ferrule? Is there going to be dirt in there? Of course there is.

I stand by the statement that ferrules need to be kept clean and lubricated. Once a rod leaves the shop rodmakers have no control over how the customer takes care of their rods. I don't know how often the customer cleans their ferrules and neither do you.

You are completely missing the point. DIRT is the enemy, not the wax. Ferrules stick because of DIRT. Ferrules get loose because of DIRT wearing them down. Dirt and dust stick to wax and oil. There will be less dirt if you do not put anything on the the ferrule for dirt to stick to.
    Missing the point? Whatever.

Ferrules stick because a metal-to-metal fit tends to gall. Weather the galling is caused by dirt or surface finish is of no consequence once the ferrule is stuck. A high pressure lubricant fills the surface roughness and separates the metal surfaces from each other allowing for a smooth sliding fit.

The problem is that 90% of the people that wax a ferrule, graphite or metal, never clean the danged thing. Most of them never think to clean the ferrule after it sticks. No, they try to free it by twisting and break or otherwise damage the rod.

So what? The fact people don't follow instructions does not change the fact that ferrules should be lubricated. I suspect your 90% figure is not based on fact but is merely conjecture.

How much dirt is already in the oil you use from the side of your nose? You washed your face? OK, what about the dust devil you walked through getting to the stream? How about the dust you might kick up on the path or trail getting there? Some of that stuck to the oil on your nose and you just put dirt on your ferrules that will cause more wear.

You didn't get this oil from the side of the nose from me. I don't recommend the practice.

Keeping a ferrule clean means more than just wiping off the male side. You have to clean the dirt impregnated wax and oil out of the female side, too. Ferrule plugs will certainly help keep dirt out, but they do nothing for the dirt and oil that is transferred by oiling or waxing a male ferrule. Since it is near impossible to get people to clean things, adding a dirt trapping material to a ferrule is just plain silly.

Running ferrules dry is the silly practice.

This is simple common sense, guys, not rocket science.

You are right, it is not rocket science. Keep ferrules clean and lubricated. People can choose to not clean their ferrules or to clean their ferrules. It is their choice. It is still a free country. Does not change the requirement for a ferrule to be clean and lightly lubricated.

fishbum

Blog Entries

OK then, what it comes down to is you buy your rods, you make your decisions, I can understand both sides of this problem. As for me I am going to keep waxing, but I will be careful to clean the wax off more often.

Now LETS GO FISHING. or Hit the tying bench, or mow the lawn or something before this gets out of hand

Tight Lines

Eric
    "Complexity is easy; Simplicity is difficult."
    Georgy Shragin
    Designer of ppsh41 sub machine gun

Blog Entries

Dave E's post confirms that ferrules need to be cleaned. Almost every manufacturer there says to clean the ferrules. Some even say that if you don't, it will lead to premature wear. So how many of you clean them inside and out on a regular basis? 5%? Less? How many of you actually would think to send your rod in for warranty repair because a ferrule is worn and loose? 1%? Less?

I knew it was going to be implied that I didn't know what I was talking about when I posted. "By God! We've been doing it this way for the last 500 years! It has to be right!" If people cleaned the ferrules, it would be a moot point. It wouldn't matter. But most of you do not clean the ferrules. Less than 1% of you even think to clean the inside of the female ferrule. You simply add more wax over the wax and trapped dirt already there, trapping more dirt and causing more problems. I would venture a bet that most of you never even wipe the rod down before stuffing it in it's sock. So now the sock is dirty and even if you do wipe the rod off, the sock is going to put dirt back on it. How many of you ever wash the sock? Anyone?

Keep things clean and it doesn't matter one way or the other but it is going to be easier to keep things clean if you are not using an additive that will catch and hold dirt.
    Kevin

Be careful how you live. You may be the only Bible some person ever reads.

+ Reply to Thread