+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Q's on wading staffs and fly boxes

I use an aluminum ski pole from my snow skiing days...aircraft aluminum [stronger]...the grip has a platform that the side of the palm rests on ...I really like that feature.
    They were quality poles in those days.

I cover the carbide tip so it doesn't click on the rocks. I also weighted the tip with a few large nuts so that when I'm casting it rides tip down next to me...that way it doesn't get in the way of line coils or a fish coming to hand.

I've got the Simms staff and like mine. never used a Folstaff but heard good things there too so either are probably fine albeit expensive. I've heard the Folstaf units can sometimes be hard to get apart but I've never had any personal experience with them. One other benefit is that these staff's fold up when not in use. I know ski poles, hockey sticks, etc are much cheaper but when you bring one of them you're stuck carrying one for the entire outing along with your rod. At least the Folstaf and Simms units fold up and can be holstered. Convenience and my personal safety are worth the $100 or so.

I like the slit-foam fly boxes like the H&H knock offs. I know Hook and Hackle has a waterproof box with the slit foam that's reasonable. I have one from them but I just got it and haven't filled it yet.
    Take Care ...
    Steve
    \><((((((*>

Quote Originally Posted by skondolf View Post
    I've got the Simms staff and like mine.
    Does the staff deploy with one hand or do you need both hands to put it together? I can't tell from the photos.
    Regards,

Silver

"Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought"..........Szent-Gyorgy

I use a Swiss Staff hiking staff. It is collapsible but I usually leave it extended while I fish, in case I get into some rough bottom and need a quick steady. For wading I have a lanyard attached and then I also have a carabiner attached to the strap handle to secure it to my waders while fishing.

For fly boxes I like the C&F boxes, but the ones I own were purchased on close-out, so not near as expensive as the original retail. I have found several C&F knock-offs that do the job quite well, but I can't tell you what the brand is, sorry. My C&F box with the leaf page in the middle holds 540 flies...

Kelly.
    Tight Lines,

Kelly.

"There will be days when the fishing is better than one's most optimistic forecast, others when it is far worse. Either is a gain over just staying home."

Roderick Haig-Brown, "Fisherman's Spring"

The Folstaf deploys with one hand &, as our dear departed JC once told me, it won't stick if you wax each joint. Dirt might cause it to stick but mine never has, thanks to JC. It always folds easily. Just pull it out of it's holster, give a little wrist flick & it's open.
    Mike
    FAOL..All about caring, sharing, & good friends!!

I've used the Folstaf for about 30 years with no problems. I have the 1/2" model which has been fine, even though I weighed 225 at my heaviest. You are supposed to use them as a third leg, not your only leg.

As far as fly boxes go, I like the Myran fly boxes a lot. They are well made and reasonably priced. I also have a couple of Wheatleys and the small Wheatley knockoff that Cabela's sells. No foam for me.
    Last edited by gadabout; 04-19-2011 at 04:51 PM.

I've seen a lot of debates about Simms versus Folstaff. The Folstaff advantage is that you can carry it in its holster and then deploy it with one hand when you need it. The disadvantage is that the sections don't lock, so the pole can come apart if the tip gets stuck in the stream bed. The Simms advantage is that the sections lock in place, but it does take two hands to deploy. I own a Folstaff and love it, but it did cause me to fall one time when it came apart while wading a muddy bottom. Folstaff's customer service is superb if you need it.

I keep my Folstaff tied to my wader belt while fishing, but didn't like the way it would float downstream. So I put a two-piece magnetic net holder on it and on my wader belt. It keeps the fully extended Folstaff's handle right where I need it for a quick grab.

It looks like the "wading staff" portion of the OP has been well covered,so on to fly boxes.I've been gradually retiring all of my old fly boxes over the last couple years in favor of sealable waterproof models.I'm just tired of having flies rust in my boxes without ever being tied on a tippet from the occassional dunking that I inevitably take every year,as well as wading too deep,/over the waders etc. and intentional wet wading in summer where i have a box of flys in a back pocket etc. tramping down a trout stream in shorts and sneakers.I think I've thrown away more flies than I've actually used over the years that were rusted/faded colors etc.?Anyhow,it's all waterproof,sealed boxes for me from here on out.I've found that the Plano "accesory/electronics" containers for cameras,cellphones etc. work great,are a nice size for my salmon flies (8x4x2?)and by simply glueing in some foam,are a much less expensive alternative than buying the actual "fly boxes" of similair design.

Thumbs up

Yes, on to the fly boxes....I can't guarantee HOW waterproof they are, BUT I have taken a dunk twice without my flys becoming wet & I have never had to discard a fly due to rust that has been housed in one of these. http://fishing.flambeauoutdoors.com/...lue_ribbon.asp

Another item I use is the magnetic "fly dryer" on my vest. It comes with a magnetic back plate that you put on the inside of vest or shirt & has 3 round, "rare earth" magnets on the front . I usually stick several flies on it starting the day & rarely have to reach for my box while on the water. http://tight-line-enterprises.com/magflyguard.html This may seem strange, but it is REALLY a great item.
    Mike
    Last edited by ohiotuber; 04-22-2011 at 02:50 PM.
    FAOL..All about caring, sharing, & good friends!!

Quote Originally Posted by oldfrat View Post
    I've seen a lot of debates about Simms versus Folstaff. The Folstaff advantage is that you can carry it in its holster and then deploy it with one hand when you need it. The disadvantage is that the sections don't lock, so the pole can come apart if the tip gets stuck in the stream bed.
    Just a thought but the internal bungee cords do weaken over time. I send mine in and now it stays locked and I haven't had it come apart even in the mud.
    Regards,

Silver

"Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought"..........Szent-Gyorgy

+ Reply to Thread