Thread: Please help me become a legend in my own mind.

Threaded View

Western Portal Sequoia National Forest & the G.T.W., Kern River, CA.

Hi Greg,
    If you want to see a website in decline, a good way to accomplish that goal would be to start chasing away enthusiastic contributors by admonishing them for sharing their passion.

I think that you are confusing enthusiasm with ego.
    For instance, why do you feel the need to share your fly fishing resume with us to make a point about the enthusiastic pursuits of other tyers?
    Why not simply say what you have to say and let it stand on it's own merits. Possibly because you hold your own tying talents in high regard. As these other tyers do of their work.

I relish the enthusiasm that these other tyers wish to share and look forward to their contributions, whether they live up to your high standards or not.

It wasn't but a month or so ago that another well versed angler who has contributed much to this board had his head not so politely handed to him publicly for answering a question at great length and in detail.

The gist of it was that he'd gone into to great of detail for an answer directed to a novice. It seems strange that anyone would be admonished for going the extra mile, as it does when someone interrupts the flow of a thread by trying to disallow the reader to judge for themselves the validity of the posted contribution.
    That too started with the admonisher, posting their fly fishing resume to I suppose, add some credibility to their argument. The pendulum here does swing both ways.

How about this? We simply let folks share what they will and let each reader decide for themselves whether or not the contribution carries any worth.

Best, Dave
    Last edited by Dave E; 03-24-2011 at 02:47 PM.