As to 'what's quicker'...

I have a 'lot' of round rubber skirt material...I used to make bass jigs. I always used the method Coach Bob posted (my strips came in pounds..one continous length of I don't have any clue how long). It works, but there are two issues with it...you have to hold the strip secure (I used a clip board with two clips on it), and you have to hold the straight edge in place while you draw the marker across the strip, moving the straight edge each time and trying to keep it sort of even (doesn't need to BE even, but it looks better...). This method works, but the barring doesn't go all the way around the strand and I always got a bunch of the ink on my fingers, especially when separating the strands. And it does take a few minutes to do correctly.

I saw the 'twist and line' method posted here a few years back. It looked pretty slick, so I tried it. I liked the way it looked, but was it too time consuming?

After running few 'tests' I found that I could cut the strip to the length I wanted, separate the strip into individual strands, and then twist and draw an permanent marker over each one just as fast as the 'draw the lines across' method...with no ink all over my hands. I could vary the spacing as I chose based on how much I twisted the strands. I did cut a notch in the marker to make it easier to draw the length of the strand easier and more evenly. And I tried two colors as well...pretty cool.

In any event, you can make several hundred four inch legs in an hour with either method. I do prefer how the 'twisted' ones look.

Buddy