Thread: Furling Board Features

Threaded View

Katy, Texas (Houston is our biggest suburb!)
    Blog Entries

A couple of comments about making a furling board. One of the frequent topics is timing of the twisting! One can forget counting twists, twisting times pigtailing,etc., if you include a micro switch in the system, and use the proper tension weight for the material you are using.

It has been mathematically demonstrated that there is a point at which maximum twist will be reached.Trying to furl beyond this point will break the material, which only stands to reason. Also, if proper twisting tension (weight) is applied, it will NOT pigtail before reaching this point. Thus, the point that gives maximum twist is that point at which the materials break without pig tailing.

Knowing the tensil strength of the material you are using will enable you to calculate the breaking strength (tensil strength) of your doubled leader, and use this weigh accordingly to the specific material, as Karel has done. If you use a traveling tensioner hook, as apparently ducksterman does, and I do, by setting the extended actuator arm across the tensioner guide track and locking it in place at the end point for the length of your leader, when the tensioner carrier reaches the actuator, it will automatically turn things off; provided that the actuator arm is low enough for the carrier to interact with it.

In my experience, twisting and furling speed does not have a noticeable effect on the end product. I use an old sewing machine motor that is wired to a dimmer switch for a rheostat, and have successfully furled at over 300rpm (actual tachometer measurements). There is a speed at which it can be difficult to maintain control of things (I have an ON/OFF toggle switch to fall back on should the micro switch fail me, and I always keep a finger on this switch and watch the twisting process for untoward happenings. I use this switch to turn everything off after the two legs have been twisted and while moving both legs to the furling hook.)

I need to spend a little time and learn how to post photos her, and as soon as I figure it out, will post photos of my "rig".

aged sage
    Last edited by aged_sage; 01-13-2011 at 10:14 PM. Reason: Typo