You can't go wrong with ANY kayak. They are the ultimate boat. Tough, fast, and virtually unsinkable. As to SIK, ,or SOT, it's mostly personal preference. Everything is a trade-off. SOTs are easy to get in and out of, are open, so you won't feel cramped, and are self-bailing. But, they are slower, heavier, you will get wetter, and even with thigh straps, are difficult, if not impossible to Eskimo Roll. If you roll over, you will be separated from your boat, and so will your gear. In fast water, they maneuver like a drunken Clydesdale, so you're gonna go in the water...a lot. SIKs will keep you dry (especially with a spray skirt), are fast, and can cover miles easily, can turn on a dime (at least the shorter ones), can be easily rolled, saving you, and your gear, are warmer, and virtually indestructible. They are also much lighter. My personal preference is for SIKs, which I have, but I know lots of people who use SOTs and love them. It's up to you.

I have never owned an Old Town, but they have gotten good ratings. If you really want to know about a particular Kayak before you buy one, go to http://www.paddling.net/, and check out the 'Reviews' section. This will tell you what people who actually bought one think about it.

I have a Pelican Pursuit 100 and absolutely love it. I bowfish, fly fish, spin fish, run jug and trot lines from it, as well as go through the occasional fast water, and exploring. It's the best $200.00 I ever spent. I hardly ever use my canoe any more. In fact, it's up for sale right now. I want to buy another Kayak (a SOT, so I'll have one of each).

As far as paddles, they need to be matched to your height. Paddling.net has everything you need to know about how to select a suitable paddle. A lot depends on your intended usage.

Good luck, and have fun.