Maodiver,

The Pflueger reels certainly are workhorses! My first reel was a Medalist Modal 1492, and I still use it after 40+ years! I also have a 1494 1/2 with 5 spools with various lines, ie- DT/WF/Full Sinking/Sink-Tip and Nymph-Tip. Have some older models also, like the Progress - Model 1774 - brass frame with aluminum spool, and small Progress - brass frame with stainless steel spool (has the #60 on the base and is about the size of a Model 1492). I use the oldest ones on my bamboo fly rods. The only down side that I have experienced is when going from fighting a fish using the line to then fighting the fish on the reel, that you will experience too much pressure (start-up inertia?) and will break off the fish when using light tippets. I suppose you could allow the reel to free-spool and try to control the reel by finger/hand pressure but I think you would be asking for trouble - possible birds nest!!! If I am fishing streamers with heavy tippets I would not hesitate to use the Medalists. Also would use them on very small streams where it is unlikely for you to fight a fish on the reel. Of course I could just be over-thinking all of this!!!!!

Best Regards, Dave S. (fishdog54)