+ Reply to Thread

Thread: How Good a Rod is a Loomis GL3?

Hybrid View

Don't know whether mine is an "original" GL3, or how the GL3 differs from an IMX, GLX or current Classic?
    http://tinyurl.com/24kw3tc
    Can a GL3 make a delicate dry presentation too?

The GL3's were excellent rods. They were one of the best price point rods going. I have the 8' 3wt. and it's a very light, responsive rod. You can't go wrong with them. The difference between the GL3 and GLX is that the GLX is a higher modulous graphite and also has a higher price tag. The IMX graphite was the one that put Loomis on the map. It was the precursor to the GLX. Yes, the GL3 can make delicate presentations. They were more of a medium fast action.

Quote Originally Posted by Hackler View Post
    Can a GL3 make a delicate dry presentation too?
    This is not to pick on you but to try and get you to think about this statement. The rod doesn't do the presenting, the caster does. I know that some people talk about slower rods and finer presentations but the truth is many people fish very fast rods and make wonderful presentations. You can't buy a good presentation, UNLESS you are spending your money on lots of good casting instructional lessons from a qualified casting instructor.

I think that you will be very happy with your purchase. Now instead of focusing on the stick, now forcus on what you are going to do with it. Good luck man and have a grand time on the water perfecting your craft.

No problem, I realize that a caster is the one who controls the rod. I was asking essentially if the tool was capable.

Hackler,

I had a Loomis GL3- 9'9" for 5wt. I could throw everything from a #2 streamer to a #26 midge pupa with that thing(with accuracy). I'm still mourning the lose of that rod - (broke
    the tip on it trying to fish with another rod while the GL3 was attached to my fishing vest across my chest!) Don't try that at home boys and girls without serious adult supervision!
    Anyway, when I called Loomis and told them my misfortune (June 2005) they told me they did not have that rod anymore. The poor guy is probably still traumatized by the loud
    wailing on the other end of the line. Annnnyyyhhhoooo to make a short story long! LOL! , they had to send me a 9' for 5wt. The new rod does a yomens job at taking the place
    of the old rod, but I do miss the extra length. Oh btw, I am not that good at casting and could use some remedial/professional help to fix some bad habits.
    Regards, Dave. S (fishdog54)

Back when the late JC, Jim Sisson and I were teaching weekend classes every weekend (except winter) we bought 12 GL3 rods from G Loomis at the Pro Staff discount. Everyone in class got to use one. They are/were terrific rods. When we stopped teaching the classes we sold the rods off here on our For Sale board. They were inscribed Birkholm School of Fly Casting.

+ Reply to Thread