+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Tenkara

Hybrid View

Very cool! My question is this... Could you do the same or something very similar with a telescoping "cane pole" type rod? Or are the actions too different?
    The Green Hornet strikes again!!!

Default Not familiar with ...

Quote Originally Posted by quivira kid View Post
    ...Could you do the same or something very similar with a telescoping "cane pole" type rod? Or are the actions too different?
    ... a telescoping cane pole type rod, Zac, so I can't really answer your question.

From my experience last year fishing an 8' for 5 wt bamboo fly rod exclusively for six months, it is hard for me to imagine a 13' rod fashioned from bamboo ( or any material other than graphite ) that would weigh 2.7 ounces, balance beautifully, and cast effortlessly.

H.A. - Some folks are going to be negative about anything that doesn't fit their experience or preferences. Those folks should not discourage open minded people from talking about this or any other approach to fly angling. Not to worry about "peace." You beat me to the punch today suggesting to Deanna that she approach Tenkara about becoming a sponsor. Maybe this thread would cause them to give it serious consideration.

Warren - I'm getting a new furling jig set up in the next week or two. I think that I will be able to make my own Tenkara lines. If it doesn't work out, I'll be in touch with you about furling me a couple.

John
    The fish are always right.

hmmmm...you've given me some food for thought. I have seen these rods but never tried one. I really do like the thought of them for backcountry excursions along smaller rivers and streams.

John,

As Heritage Angler said, welcome to the world of tenkara. Although tenkara won't do everything, you'll notice more and more places where it will work just fine.

When you demo the 12' Iwana, be sure to demo the 11' one as well if you do any fishing in smaller streams. If they don't have one in stock, ask them to order one at the same time they order the 12 footer. It is one sweet little rod. I wouldn't take it out looking for 20 inchers, but up to about 15-16" would be fine. An Ayu for bigger streams and 11' Iwana for smaller streams is a very nice combination.

Also, at some point you might want to try a light level line for your Ayu. It will cast a lighter level line than the Yamame, and you can fish a line longer than the 10.5' furled line.

quivira kid,

If by telescopic "cane pole" you mean the crappie or panfish poles, they're not really comparable. Before Tenkara USA opened its doors last year, I bought a number of telescopic panfish poles, both fiberglass and graphite, to try to get as close as I could to a real tenkara rod. A tenkara rod is designed to cast an unweighted fly using just a furled leader (or level line as light as 0x fluorocarbon for an Ayu) as the "fly line." Panfish poles are designed to cast either a weighted jig or a worm, split shot and bobber. They're not nearly sensitive enough (plus they're a lot heavier). Even the Yamame, which is considerably stiffer than the Ayu, has a more sensitive tip than a panfish pole.

I've written a lot about tenkara rods, but I can't give you a link. Google knows where to find me.

Edited to add: They're great for 'gills, too!
    Last edited by CM_Stewart; 07-17-2010 at 01:35 AM.
    Tenkara Bum

John and CM, thanks for the responses! I already have a 13 ft telescoping "dipping pole" and figured it might work. That's why I asked.
    The Green Hornet strikes again!!!

Lightbulb Know what you mean ...

Quote Originally Posted by CM_Stewart View Post
    ....I've written a lot about tenkara rods, but I can't give you a link....
    ... but I can post a link to a website by a TenkaraBum that has written a lot about Tenkara.

http://www.tenkarabum.com/tenkara-rods.html

I certainly hope everyone who reads this thread will follow the link and become better informed about this approach to fly angling. Great reviews on the rods available from TenkaraUSA, also.

John
    The fish are always right.

It seems like Czech nymphing would fit the design of these rods nicely. Long rod length, good line control.

I guess I exhibited my "extensive" knowledgs of the Tenkara system in my previous reply by stating the length must be great for "loooooonnnnngggg" casts. I finally actually opened a Tenkara site and watched the system in action. NO REEL, duhhh!! Ignorance is not always bliss, as in this case, ignorance has kept me from trying a system which looks like it suits MY style of fishing to a "T"enkara. I love pocket water type fishing . Pocket water is often ignored by fly fishermen because of the very short drifts and fairly turbid water. To me, that's where the hungry trout stealthily (?sp) wait to ambush tasty morsels.

Mark

Quote Originally Posted by Tyro View Post
    It seems like Czech nymphing would fit the design of these rods nicely. Long rod length, good line control.
    That's what I thought when I first started fishing with a tenkara rod. It took me a long time to realize that they are actually much better at what they were designed for - fishing an unweighted wet fly. The rod tips are a little too soft for two or three heavy flies fished deep. Also, the lines they use are so light that even one tungsten bead head nymph becomes chuck and duck. Instead of Czech nymphing, think soft hackles!

Tyronefly,

I tend to fish streams that don't get much fishing pressure, or less popular sections of streams that do, so I rarely have encounters with other anglers. Most of those I do exchange more than an "any luck" with either don't notice that I don't have a reel or don't say anything if they do.

John,

You could have a furled line and furled leader joined with a loop to loop, but pszy22 knows a lot more about furled lines (and furled tenkara lines) than I do, so I'll leave that one for him. What I would say, though, is that you'll probably want a longer one than the 10.5 foot one the shop gave you to try. Also, don't judge level lines by your experience with the Yamame. The Ayu excels at casting a very light level line, and with a light level line, you'll only need to add about 4' of tippet directly to the line. Very simple.
    Last edited by CM_Stewart; 07-18-2010 at 03:29 AM.
    Tenkara Bum

+ Reply to Thread