+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: drill bit for uplocking reel seats

1. Default drill bit for uplocking reel seats

hi all
    im about to embark on building my first rod and this is probably a really dumb question what kind of drill but/cutting tool would you use to make the recess in the bottom of you grip for an uplocking reel seat?
    thanks
    tyler

Default Rod Building

Hmmm... I didn't have to make a hole. Did you buy a precut grip or a blank?

Blog Entries

I have seen several different ways to do it. One is a modified spade bit. A 1/4" pilot is brazed to the spade bit where the point is to center the hole. Another is similar in that there is a pilot and removable blades to set the hole diameter.

If you are really careful, you can use a Dremel and hog it out, but you have to take it slow. I would imagine that if you had a way to hold the grip solid, you could use a Forstner bit in a drill press, too.

I am sure there are other ideas out there, too.

Of course, the easiest way, is to order the grip with the cutout already done. Several of the vendors will do that for you for a nominal fee.
    Kevin

Be careful how you live. You may be the only Bible some person ever reads.

Quote Originally Posted by tbar25 View Post
    hi all
    im about to embark on building my first rod and this is probably a really dumb question what kind of drill but/cutting tool would you use to make the recess in the bottom of you grip for an uplocking reel seat?
    thanks
    tyler
    Tyler,

Are you talking about how you bore the center hole, which would be a drill bit, or are you talking about the inlet for the reel feet sit and are covered by the locking rings?

Greybeard

Use a forstner bit.

Katy, Texas (Houston is our biggest suburb!)
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by hardhat View Post
    Use a forstner bit.
    And turn at a very slow speed! You cut the recess for the hood with a Dremel and a cylindrical grinding stone about 1/4 inch in diameter after the main recess has bee cut. The VERY FIRST STEP is to center, and then trace the outline of, the hooded metal part onto the cork with a ball point pen to serve as a guide. I highly recommend first practicing on a single cork ring.

Some reel seats have a cork ring with them that is inletted so that you can just glue it to the end of the grip - I have some and would be willing to send you one.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by herefishy View Post
    Some reel seats have a cork ring with them that is inletted so that you can just glue it to the end of the grip - I have some and would be willing to send you one.
    Let's not do anything that is simple, easy to do, and makes sense. It's a thread killer.
    Kevin

Be careful how you live. You may be the only Bible some person ever reads.

9. Default

thanks for the responses guys,
    i was talking about the recess to put the metal ring into the the real foot would lock into, it looks like the fostner bit is my best bet, i have already glued and spun/ shaped my handle, but i wanted to use some burl and i couldn't really find any that were already bored, plus i wanted to make the grip so it would fit my hand
    thanks again
    tyler

Bass_Bug Guest

The first handle I glued up and turned, I used a Dremel with a half inch dia ?drum sander? to bore out the recess for the reel seat. I bored out the cork ring before gluing up and only went thru 2 rings to get it right. Some reel seats are made to be mortised in the cork and have a knurled lip that will cover any slight imperfections in the hole (like a winding check). This is where a forstner bit will come in handy. A couple handles I made I bought pre formed cutout rings that were made for just the foot housing. Again glued these up before turning. Some different options to keep in mind for the next one.

+ Reply to Thread